Menifee Union SD | AR 4127 Personnel
Temporary Athletic Team Coaches
The Superintendent or designee shall establish minimum qualification criteria for temporary athletic team coaches. These criteria shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, competencies in the following areas: (5 CCR 5593)
1. Care and prevention of athletic injuries, basic sports injury first aid, and emergency procedures as evidenced by one or more of the following:
a. Completion of a college-level course in the care and prevention of athletic injuries and possession of a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card.
b. A valid sports injury certificate or first aid card, and a valid cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card.
c. A valid Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) I or II card.
d. A valid trainer's certification issued by the National or California Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA/CATA).
e. Possession of both valid CPR and first aid cards and practical experience under the supervision of an athletic coach or trainer or experience assisting in team athletic training and conditioning.
2. Coaching theory and techniques in the sport or game being coached as evidenced by one or more of the following:
a. Completion of a college course in coaching theory and techniques.
b. Completion of inservice programs arranged by a school district or county office of education.
c. Prior service as a student coach or assistant athletic coach in the sport or game being coached.
d. Prior coaching in community youth athletic programs in the sport being coached.
e. Prior participation in organized competitive athletics at high school level or above in the sport being coached.
3. Knowledge of the rules and regulations pertaining to the sport or game being coached, the league rules, and, at high school level, the regulations of the (California Interscholastic Federation) (CIF)
4. Knowledge of child or adolescent psychology as it relates to sports participation, as evidenced by one or more of the following:
a. Completion of a college-level course in child psychology for elementary school positions and adolescent or sports psychology for secondary school positions.
b. Completion of a seminar or workshop on human growth and development of youth.
c. Prior active involvement with youth in school or community sports program. (Code of Regulations 5593)
The Superintendent or designee may waive competency requirements for persons enrolled in appropriate training courses leading to acquisition of the competency, provided such persons serve under the direct supervision of a fully qualified coach until the competencies are met. (5 CCR 5593)
Following the selection of a temporary athletic team coach, the Superintendent or designee shall certify to the Governing Board, at the next regular Board meeting or within 30 days, whichever is sooner, that the coach meets the qualifications and competencies required by 5 CCR 5593. By April 1 of each year, the Board shall certify to the State Board of Education that the provisions of 5 CCR 5593 have been met. (5 CCR 5594)
Volunteers who supervise or direct an athletic program shall meet the qualification criteria specified in 5 CCR 5593 required for temporary athletic team coaches employed by the district. Any volunteer who does not meet such criteria shall serve only under the supervision of a fully qualified coach and shall not be given charge of an athletic program.
(cf. 1240 - Volunteer Assistance)
Additional Qualifications of Noncertificated Personnel and Volunteers
In addition to the qualifications listed above, any noncertificated person employed as a temporary athletic team coach shall:
1. Not to have been convicted of any offense referred to in Education Codes 44010, 44011, or 44424, or any offense involving moral turpitude or evidencing unfitness to associate them with children.
2. To be free from tuberculosis and any other contagious disease that would prohibit certificated teachers from teaching, as verified by a written statement, renewable every four years, from a licensed physician or other person approve by the district.
Beginning July 1, 2010, any noncertificated employee or volunteer who supervises, directs, or coaches an interscholastic athletic team shall be required to obtain an Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. (Education Code 49024)
(cf. 1240 - Volunteer Assistance)
Regulation MENIFEE UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 13, 1990 Menifee, California
revised: January 25, 1994
revised: March 8, 2011