Legal Resources | Title 5 | T5 10060
Article 3.1. Physical Education Program. Criteria for Physical Education Program.
Each school district shall appraise the quality of the physical education program in each senior or four-year high school of the district by the following criteria:
(a) The course of study provides for instruction in a developmental sequence in each of the following areas:
(1) Effects of physical activity upon dynamic health.
(2) Mechanics of body movement.
(4) Gymnastics and tumbling.
(5) Individual and dual sports.
(6) Rhythms and dance.
(7) Team sports.
(8) Combatives for boys.
(b) Assignment of pupils to physical education courses is made on the basis of individual needs including such factors as health status, skill development, and/or grade level.
(c) Instruction is provided for pupils with physical limitations including those with inadequate skill development and the physically underdeveloped. Physical performance tests as required by Section 1041 be used to identify physically underdeveloped pupils and to appraise the motor aspects of physical fitness.
(d) Each course includes activities of a vigorous nature adapted to individual capacities, and designed to permit maximum development of each individual pupil.
(e) Each class period includes the teaching of the fundamentals and techniques of each instructional area conducted during that period.
(f) Class size is consistent with the requirements of good instruction and safety.
(g) Reporting of pupil achievement is based upon all of the following:
(1) Evaluation of the pupil's individual progress and the measure of his attainment of the goals specified in each area of instruction listed in subsection (a) of this section
(2) Tests designed to determine skill and knowledge.
(3) Physical performance tests.
(4) Any other evaluation procedures required by local governing board regulations.
(h) Teaching stations are of sufficient number and suitability, to provide instruction in activities conducted under subsection (a) of this section.
(i) Supplies and equipment of sufficient quantity and quality are provided to allow active participation of each pupil throughout the class period.
Education Code 51054
Education Code 51054
(Amended by Register 79, No. 45.)