Mountain View-Los Altos Union HSD | AR 5116.1 Students
Intradistrict Transfers - Open Enrollment
Open Enrollment - Transfer Capacity:
1. The District shall determine the Maximum Facility Capacity of each comprehensive high school.
(cf. 5116.1.1 - Intradistrict Transfers-Maximum Facility Capacity)
2. The Superintendent or designee shall recommend the Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity to the Board of Trustees for each comprehensive high school, and by grade, if needed. These figures shall take into account factors such as a school's:
a. Maximum Facility Capacity
b. Grades K-8/9-12 attendance area projected enrollments
c. Open Enrollment intradistrict transfers
d. Intradistrict transfers approved with special circumstances
e. Interdistrict transfers
f. Previous year's enrollment
g. Increase in enrollment (percent or number) a school might reasonably absorb in one year without adversely impacting the educational program or instructional environment
h. Viability of instructional program or educational environment
i. Available classroom and/or instructional space
3. The Board of Trustees shall review and adopt the Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity figures by school, and by grade, if appropriate.
4. The number of Open Enrollment transfers approved each year may not cause a school's enrollment to exceed the projected Maximum Facility Capacity for any future school year.
Procedure and Timeline:
1. The Superintendent or designee shall establish an annual timetable for the Open Enrollment transfer process.
2. The District shall provide all necessary parental notice information as mandated by Education Code Section 48980
Transfer information and application forms shall be available at the District Office.
3. The District shall use mailing addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers provided by the student, parent/guardian on the District Open Enrollment Transfer Application forms and will notify parents/guardians using one or more of the above methods.
(Note: Information provided by parents is subject to verification by the District. The District is not responsible for incorrect or missing information; nor is the District responsible for the failure of a student, parent/guardian to adhere to the policy guidelines, timelines, and procedures for Open Enrollment transfers.)
4. Open Enrollment transfers to Mountain View High School and Los Altos High School shall be processed by the District once each year as outlined in A through G below:
a. By September 30: The Superintendent or designee shall recommend the Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity for each high school to the Board of Trustees for the following school year. The Board of Trustees shall review the Superintendent's recommendation and adopt the Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity for each high school.
b. October: The District shall publicize Open Enrollment transfer information in a variety of ways, including newsletters and websites.
c. By December 1: Students desiring an Open Enrollment transfer must submit a completed Open Enrollment transfer application form to the Superintendent's Office no later than 4:00 p.m. on December 1.
d. By January 15:
(1) If student applications for transfer to a school are fewer than the available Open Enrollment transfer openings for that school: All students requesting a transfer to that school shall be assigned to that school.
(2) If student applications for transfer to a school are greater than the available Open Enrollment transfer openings for that school: The Superintendent shall use a random, unbiased process to select the students to attend that school. The Superintendent, using the same random, unbiased selection process, shall establish a waiting list for students wishing to attend that school.
(3) The Superintendent shall notify students of their transfer status: assigned to school of their choice or placed on a waiting list for their school of choice.
e. By January 31: Students assigned to their school of choice must confirm their enrollment by returning the proper form to the Superintendent's office no later than 4:00 p.m. on January 31.
f. December 1 - June 30:
(1) Students who relocate to the attendance area of a district school between December 1 and June 30 may submit an application for an intradistrict transfer for the following school year. These students shall be assigned to their school of choice if there is remaining Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity at that school or, if the Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity has been exceeded, the student's name shall be added to the Open Enrollment waiting list of their school of choice.
(2) Students on an Open Enrollment waiting list shall be notified of assignment to their school of choice, by waiting list order, whenever an opening at that school occurs due to a previously accepted Open Enrollment student's rejecting their assignment to that school or moving from the District.
g. AFTER JUNE 30:
(1) Students not assigned to their school of choice because of a lack of Open Enrollment Transfer Capacity must enroll in their school of residence.
(2) Open Enrollment waiting lists expire after June 30.
(3) Students who move into the MVLA District after June 30 shall attend their school of residence.
1. Once admitted through Open Enrollment:
a. Students shall be considered residents of the school attendance area to which they have been admitted. Students may request a transfer back to their previous school approved under the "special circumstances" provision as outlined in Board Policy 5116.1 or request an Open Enrollment transfer during the next processing period.
b. Students may not have their Open Enrollment transfer revoked for disciplinary reasons. However, students may be assigned to another school through an expulsion process or by recommendation of a School Attendance Review Board (SARB).
(cf. 5144 - Student Discipline Policy and Procedures)
2. With proper documentation and verification, a transfer shall be granted to permit concurrent attendance of siblings at the same school.
3. The District shall not provide transportation as a result of the approval of an intradistrict transfer.
4. The MVLA Superintendent's decision in matters pertaining to intradistrict transfers shall be final.
(cf. 5116.1 - Intradistrict Transfer-Compelling Need)
Regulation MOUNTAIN VIEW-LOS ALTOS UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: June 19, 2017 Mountain View, California