The following definitions apply to this chapter:
(a) "Claim schedule" means a schedule of payment requests prepared and submitted by a state agency to the Controller for payment to the named claimant.
(b) "Grant" means a signed final agreement between any state agency and a local government agency or organization authorized to accept grant funding for victim services or prevention programs administered by any state agency. Any such grant is a contract and subject to this chapter.
(c) "Invoice" means a bill or claim that requests payment on a contract under which a state agency acquires property or services or pursuant to a signed final grant agreement.
(d) "Medi-Cal program" means the program established pursuant to Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 14000) of Part 3 of Division 9 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(e) "Nonprofit public benefit corporation" means a corporation, as defined by subdivision (b) of Section 5046 of the Corporations Code, that has registered with the Department of General Services as a small business.
(f) "Nonprofit service organization" means a nonprofit entity that is organized to provide services to the public.
(g) "Notice of refund or other payment due" means a state agency provides notice to the person that a refund or payment is owed to that person or the state agency receives notice from the person that a refund or undisputed payment is due.
(h) "Payment" means any form of the act of paying, including, but not limited to, the issuance of a warrant or a registered warrant by the Controller, or the issuance of a revolving fund check by a state agency, to a claimant in the amount of an undisputed invoice.
(i) "Reasonable cause" means a determination by a state agency that any of the following conditions are present:
(1) There is a discrepancy between the invoice or claimed amount and the provisions of the contract or grant.
(2) There is a discrepancy between the invoice or claimed amount and either the claimant's actual delivery of property or services to the state or the state's acceptance of those deliveries.
(3) Additional evidence supporting the validity of the invoice or claimed amount is required to be provided to the state agency by the claimant.
(4) The invoice has been improperly executed or needs to be corrected by the claimant.
(5) There is a discrepancy between the refund or other payment due as calculated by the person to whom the money is owed and by the state agency.
(j) "Received by a state agency" means the date an invoice is delivered to the state location or party specified in the contract or grant or, if a state location or party is not specified in the contract or grant, wherever otherwise specified by the state agency.
(k) "Required payment approval date" means the date on which payment is due as specified in a contract or grant or, if a specific date is not established by the contract or grant, 30 calendar days following the date upon which an undisputed invoice is received by a state agency.
(l) "Revolving fund" means a fund established pursuant to Article 5 (commencing with Section 16400) of Division 4 of Title 2.
(m) "Small business" means a business certified as a "small business" in accordance with subdivision (d) of Section 14837, including certified small businesses engaged in the development, design, and construction of California's high-speed rail system pursuant to the California High-Speed Rail Act (Division 19.5 (commencing with Section 185000) of the Public Utilities Code).
(n) "Small business" and "nonprofit organization" mean, in reference to providers under the Medi-Cal program, a business or organization that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The principal office is located in California.
(2) The officers, if any, are domiciled in California.
(3) If a small business, it is independently owned and operated.
(4) The business or organization is not dominant in its field of operation.
(5) Together with any affiliates, the business or organization has gross receipts from business operations that do not exceed three million dollars ($3,000,000) per year, except that the Director of Health Services may increase this amount if the director deems that this action would be in furtherance of the intent of this chapter.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 199, Sec. 1.)