topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Legal Resources | Government Code |  GC  990.9  

Claims and Actions Against Public Entities and Public Employees; Insurance   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

Any city, county, city and county, or any other local public entity with authority to provide health care services may provide insurance or provide indemnity through self-insurance for medical or other health-care tort claims against any person who, in good faith and without compensation, renders voluntary care to low-income patients within the scope of his or her practice at a community clinic or free clinic, as those terms are defined in subdivision (a) of Section 1204 of the Health and Safety Code, serving residents within the jurisdiction of the local public entity, and who is licensed under Division 2 (commencing with Section 500) of the Business and Professions Code or under an initiative act referred to in those provisions. However, the insurance or indemnity provided pursuant to this section shall not cover liability for which there is other insurance coverage in effect.

(Added by Stats. 1993, Ch. 154, Sec. 1.)