(a) If, after seeking the advice of, and in active participation with, the Treasurer, the Director of Finance determines that an alternative arrangement to the sale of the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities may be financially beneficial to the state, the Director of Finance is also hereby authorized to enter into an arrangement other than that authorized in Section 69521.3, for the purpose of maximizing the value of the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities. This arrangement may take any form the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, deems advisable to provide the best combination of each of the following:
(1) The greatest value to the General Fund.
(2) The greatest financial security for achieving value to the General Fund.
(3) The continued satisfactory performance of student loan guarantee services.
(4) The approval of the United States Secretary of Education, to the extent required by Public Law 94-482, or subsequent federal regulations.
(5) The quality of student services offered, including, but not necessarily limited to, borrower training in budgeting and financial management, including debt management and other forms of financial literacy.
(6) Borrower transparency or disclosure policies for products or services, or both, offered to students outside of the federal student loan programs.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, this process shall include the steps the Director of Finance, in consultation with the Treasurer, deems necessary or convenient to achieve the ends set forth in this section. The process shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, all of the following:
(1) The satisfaction of the established criteria consistent with achieving a combination of the greatest value to the General Fund and the continued operation of student loan guarantee services for California under the Federal Family Education Loan Program. The criteria shall include any pertinent requirements of the Secretary of Education.
(2) A Notice of Request for Qualifications sent by the director to each nonprofit entity currently acting as a state student loan guaranty agency under the Federal Family Education Loan Program, any entity known to the director to be acting as a servicing agent for a state student loan guaranty agency, and any nonprofit entity proposed by the Secretary of Education, and advertised in the State Contracts Register pursuant to Sections 14827.1 and 14827.2 of the Government Code. The notice shall include a description of the state student loan guarantee program, a summary description of the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities, and a description of the due diligence review process to provide further information regarding the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities, the selection criteria on which the transaction will be based, submission requirements and date, and a Department of Finance contact name and phone number for more information. A copy of the Notice of Request for Qualifications shall be provided to the Joint Legislative Budget Committee within seven days of transmittal to state student loan guarantee agencies.
(3) The evaluation by the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, of all statements timely submitted in response to the Notice of Request for Qualifications, using the criteria contained in the notice, and, based on the statements, the establishment of a qualified purchasers list.
(Amended by Stats. 2008, Ch. 757, Sec. 25.)
Education Code 69521.3
Government Code 14827.1
Government Code 14827.2