Part B - Student Reading Skills Improvement Grants. Subpart 1 - Reading First. Purposes.
The purposes of this subpart are as follows:
(1) To provide assistance to State educational agencies and local educational agencies in establishing reading programs for students in kindergarten through grade 3 that are based on scientifically based reading research, to ensure that every student can read at grade level or above not later than the end of grade 3.
(2) To provide assistance to State educational agencies and local educational agencies in preparing teachers, including special education teachers, through professional development and other support, so the teachers can identify specific reading barriers facing their students and so the teachers have the tools to effectively help their students learn to read.
(3) To provide assistance to State educational agencies and local educational agencies in selecting or administering screening, diagnostic, and classroom-based instructional reading assessments.
(4) To provide assistance to State educational agencies and local educational agencies in selecting or developing effective instructional materials (including classroom-based materials to assist teachers in implementing the essential components of reading instruction), programs, learning systems, and strategies to implement methods that have been proven to prevent or remediate reading failure within a State.
(5) To strengthen coordination among schools, early literacy programs, and family literacy programs to improve reading achievement for all children.
(Pub. L. 89-10, title I, Sec. 1201, as added Pub. L. 107-110, title I, Sec. 101, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1535.)