Newark USD | BP 4131 Personnel
The Governing Board believes that in order to prepare students to lead productive lives in the 21st century, teachers themselves must be continuously learning, improving their skills and updating their instructional methods. The Board is committed to providing ongoing professional development to ensure that certificated staff have:
1. Mastery of discipline-based knowledge and effective subject-specific pedagogical skills.
2. Training in the use of technologies that enhance instruction.
(cf. 0440 - District Technology Plan)
(cf. 6162.7 - Use of Technology in Instruction)
3. Sensitivity to the needs of diverse student populations, including minorities, students with disabilities, limited-English-proficient students, and economically disadvantaged students; ability to meet those needs.
(cf. 4112.22 - Staff Teaching Students of Limited English Proficiency)
(cf. 4112.23 - Special Education Staff)
4. Understanding of how academic and vocational instruction can be integrated and implemented to increase student learning; skill in evaluating and combining available instructional resources; opportunities to collaborate with other staff members in the alignment of academic and vocational curricula.
(cf. 6030 - Integrated Academic and Vocational Instruction)
5. Knowledge of strategies that enable parents/guardians to participate fully and effectively in their children's education.
(cf. 6020 - Parent Involvement)
6. Effective classroom management skills; ability to relate to students, understand their various stages of growth and development, and motivate them to learn.
7. Training related to student health, safety and welfare.
(cf. 5131.6 - Alcohol and Other Drugs)
(cf. 5141.4 - Child Abuse Reporting Procedures)
(cf. 5141.51 - At-Risk Youths)
(cf. 5145.3 - Nondiscrimination/Harassment)
(cf. 5145.7 - Sexual Harassment)
The Board believes that staff development should support school improvement objectives. The Superintendent or designee shall develop a district staff development plan that is coordinated with school plans and objectives established by individuals who are closest to the classroom and most knowledgeable about the needs of the school and its students.
(cf. 0420.1 - School-Based Coordinated Programs)
(cf. 0420.2 - School Improvement Program)
(cf. 0420.3 - School-Based Pupil Motivation and Maintenance Program)
(cf. 4131.6 - Professional Development Program)
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that the district meets its obligations related to the professional growth of individual probationary and permanent teachers.
(cf. 4112.21 - District Interns)
(cf. 4116 - Probationary/Permanent Status)
(cf. 4131.5 - Professional Growth)
(cf. 4138 - Mentor Teachers)
44032 Travel expense payment
44259.5 Standards for teacher preparation
44277 Professional growth programs for individual teachers
44735 Teaching as a Priority Block Grant; teacher recruitment and retention in high-priority schools
45028 Salary schedule and exceptions
48980 Notification of parents/guardians: schedule of minimum days
52055.600-52055.662 High Priority Schools Grant Program
REPEALED EDUCATION CODE FOR CATEGORICAL PROGRAMS
3543.2 Scope of representation of employee organization
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 20
6319 Highly qualified teachers
PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS BOARD DECISIONS
United Faculty of Contra Costa Community College District v. Contra Costa Community College District, (1990) PERB Order No. 804, 14 PERC P21, 085
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION PUBLICATIONS
State Board of Education Guidelines and Criteria for Approval of Training Providers, March 2008
COMMISSION ON TEACHER CREDENTIALING PUBLICATIONS
California Standards for the Teaching Profession, 1997
Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment: http://www.btsa.ca.gov
California Commission on Teacher Credentialing: http://www.ctc.ca.gov
California Department of Education, Professional Development: http://www.cde.ca.gov/pd
California Subject Matter Projects: http://csmp.ucop.edu
Policy NEWARK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: May 7, 1996 Newark, California