Legal Resources | | EC 46300
Average daily attendance
(a) In computing average daily attendance of a school district or county office of education, there shall be included the attendance of pupils while engaged in educational activities required of those pupils and under the immediate supervision and control of an employee of the district or county office who possessed a valid certification document, registered as required by law.
(b) (1) For purposes of a work experience education program in a secondary school that meets the standards of the California State Plan for Career Technical Education, "immediate supervision," in the context of off-campus work training stations, means pupil participation in on-the-job training as outlined under a training agreement, coordinated by the school district under a state-approved plan, wherein the employer and certificated school personnel share the responsibility for on-the-job supervision.
(2) The pupil-teacher ratio in a work experience program shall not exceed 125 pupils per full-time equivalent certificated teacher coordinator. This ratio may be waived by the state board pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 33050) of Chapter 1 of Part 20 of Division 2 under criteria developed by the state board.
(3) A pupil enrolled in a work experience program shall not be credited with more than one day of attendance per calendar day, and shall be a full-time pupil enrolled in regular classes that meet the requirements of Section 46141 or 46144.
(c) (1) For purposes of the rehabilitative schools, classes, or programs described in Section 48917 that require immediate supervision, "immediate supervision" means that the person to whom the pupil is required to report for training, counseling, tutoring, or other prescribed activity shares the responsibility for the supervision of the pupils in the rehabilitative activities with certificated personnel of the district.
(2) A pupil enrolled in a rehabilitative school, class, or program shall not be credited with more than one day of attendance per calendar day.
(d) (1) For purposes of computing the average daily attendance of pupils engaged in the educational activities required of high school pupils who are also enrolled in a regional occupational center or regional occupational program, the school district shall receive proportional average daily attendance credit for those educational activities that are less than the minimum schoolday, pursuant to regulations adopted by the state board; however, none of that attendance shall be counted for purposes of computing attendance pursuant to Section 52324.
(2) A school district shall not receive proportional average daily attendance credit pursuant to this subdivision for a pupil in attendance for less than 145 minutes each day.
(3) The divisor for computing proportional average daily attendance pursuant to this subdivision is 240, except that, in the case of a pupil excused from physical education classes pursuant to Section 52316, the divisor is 180.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, travel time of pupils to attend a regional occupational center or regional occupational program shall not be used in any manner in the computation of average daily attendance.
(e) (1) In computing the average daily attendance of a school district, there shall also be included the attendance of pupils participating in independent study conducted pursuant to Article 5.5 (commencing with Section 51745) of Chapter 5 of Part 28 for five or more consecutive schooldays.
(2) A pupil participating in independent study shall not be credited with more than one day of attendance per calendar day.
(f) For purposes of cooperative career technical education programs and community classrooms described in Section 52372.1, "immediate supervision" means pupil participation in paid and unpaid on-the-job experiences, as outlined under a training agreement and individualized training plans wherein the supervisor of the training site and certificated school personnel share the responsibility for the supervision of on-the-job experiences.
(g) (1) In computing the average daily attendance of a school district, there shall be included the attendance of pupils in kindergarten after they have completed one school year in kindergarten or pupils in a transitional kindergarten program after they have completed one year in that program if one of the following conditions is met:
(A) The school district has on file for each of those pupils an agreement made pursuant to Section 48011, approved in form and content by the department and signed by the pupil's parent or guardian, that the pupil may continue in kindergarten for not more than one additional school year.
(B) The pupils participated in a transitional kindergarten program pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 48000.
(2) A school district may not include for apportionment purposes the attendance of any pupil for more than two years in kindergarten or for more than two years in a combination of transitional kindergarten and kindergarten.
(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 705, Sec. 2.)
Education Code 33050 et Seq.
Education Code 46141
Education Code 46144
Education Code 48000
Education Code 48011
Education Code 48917
Education Code 51745 et seq.
Education Code 52324
Education Code 52316
Education Code 52372.1