(a) The board shall require, as a condition of providing funding for any project under this chapter, that, for any facilities for kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or for any facilities for special education or continuation high school purposes, at least 30 percent of allowable new building construction for classrooms under the project be utilized for relocatable structures.
(b) The board may reduce the percentage requirement set forth in subdivision (a), as to any applicant, in the event that the quantity of relocatable structures necessary to comply with those requirements is unavailable from the manufacturers of those structures.
(c) The board may reduce or eliminate the percentage requirements set forth in subdivision (a), as to any applicant, under either of the following circumstances:
(1) Where the board finds that special conditions of terrain, climate, or unavailability of space within the attendance area make the use of relocatable structures impractical or inappropriate.
(2) Under the condition that, as the result of a future project for which the district receives funding under this chapter, located on the same schoolsite on which the current project is located, at least 30 percent of total building construction for classrooms on that schoolsite will be utilized for relocatable structures.
(d) Relocatable structures acquired by an applicant school district up to two years preceding the final approval by the board of the project application submitted by the district shall apply to the percentage requirements set forth in subdivision (a).
(e) Notwithstanding subdivision (d), relocatable structures acquired by an applicant school district up to 10 years preceding the final approval by the board of the project application submitted by the district shall apply to the percentage requirements set forth in subdivision (a) if the relocatable structures are to be situated on the site of a new school to be constructed under the project and all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The relocatable structures were not previously used to satisfy the 30 percent requirement set forth in subdivision (a) under any other project constructed pursuant to this chapter.
(2) The board determines that the relocatable structures are in satisfactory condition upon being moved to the new schoolsite, and are usable for classroom purposes without requiring major repair or renovation for a period of not less than 20 years subsequent to that relocation.
(3) Subsequent to moving the relocatable structures to the new schoolsite, at least 30 percent of the classroom space at the schoolsite where the structures were previously located consists of relocatable structures.
The cost of moving the relocatable structures to the new schoolsite shall be at the school district's sole expense.
(f) Whenever at least 10 percent of the allowable new building construction contained in an application is to be utilized for relocatable structures, an additional three square feet of building area for each pupil to be housed under the approved project shall be allowed.
(Added by Stats. 1996, Ch. 277, Sec. 2. Operative January 1, 1998.)