Chapter 11. Special Programs Subchapter 21. Mathematics And Reading Professional Development Program
(a) Each prospective training provider who seeks to provide training related to the initial forty hours of instruction described in Education Code section 99237 shall submit a written proposal to the SBE or its designee that includes the following:
(1) A complete, annotated, and scripted instructor's training curriculum notebook or manual which includes a timed agenda, all of the overheads or Power Point presentations used by the provider and instructor, and all materials to be included for each grade level or program/course level;
(2) A statement describing whether the training curriculum described in subdivision (a)(1) is either:
(A) Owned by the prospective provider; or
(B) Being used with the express written consent of the party that owns it.
(3) A statement identifying whether the training curriculum described in subdivision (a)(1) has already been approved by the SBE and, if so, the date of the SBE meeting;
(4) A provision that each attendee will be provided with a participant notebook or manual with required readings;
(5) A provision that a complete set of adopted grade level or program or course level materials, including both teacher and student as well as electronic components, will be available at each training session;
(6) A provision that participants will have an opportunity to make up the minimum time requirements of the training by providing the LEA with the provider's web page and/or training calendar, when available;
(7) A description of the training delivery methods, table and room set-up, and classroom structures that support adult learning theory and optimal learning;
(8) A descriptive breakdown of instructional time as follows:
(A) Thirty percent for presentation and direct instruction of academic content standards, curriculum framework, and approved instructional material's core and ancillary components, including universal access components;
(B) Forty percent for demonstrations and modeling of key routines to illustrate instructional strategies that ensure all pupils master the academic content standards, with emphasis on EL pupils and pupils with exceptional needs; and
(C) Thirty percent for practice, planning instruction based on data and student work, small and large group discussion, and other participant activities to reinforce learning.
(9) A provision that the ratio of participants to instructor(s) will not exceed 35 to 1;
(10) An estimate of the number of authorized instructors to deliver training over the next five years;
(11) A description of how it will collaborate with the LEA in planning and delivering the training which also ensures that the superintendent or his/her designee will be present during the training;
(12) A description of whether it plans to offer alternative training formats or delivery models to small, remote, or rural LEAs, including the option of webcast training;
(13) Evidence of the prospective provider's experience and qualifications to deliver its training curriculum, which may include evaluation data from past trainings and information demonstrating knowledge of state and federal programs, sanction and intervention processes, special education and EL pupils, and assessment literacy;
(14) Documentation of each lead instructor's experience and qualifications to deliver training;
(15) A description of its instructor selection and training process, including but not limited to how instructors are selected and trained to deliver its curriculum;
(16) A provision that attendance data will be collected and provided to the LEA, including the number of teachers, by credential type, who have received training on its curriculum;
(17) A provision that when major updates or revisions occur with curriculum, the prospective provider will not use the new material until after the material has been submitted for review pursuant to sections 11984 and 11984.5 and approved by the SBE; and
(18) A provision that it has read and will comply with the Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program regulations found in California Code of Regulations, title 5, sections 11980 through 11985.6, as applicable.
(b) Each prospective training provider's written proposal shall undergo review by a review panel consisting of two or more reviewers designated by the SBE and acting under its direction. The review panel shall evaluate whether the prospective provider's written proposal contains each of the items identified in subdivision (a) and whether the written proposal demonstrates the prospective provider's ability to effectively deliver training. To be a qualified reviewer, a reviewer shall have knowledge of information related to mathematics or reading, as applicable, including:
(1) Academic content standards;
(2) Curriculum frameworks;
(3) Instructional and teaching strategies included in the SBE adopted and standards-aligned core and ancillary instructional materials;
(4) Current and confirmed scientific research; and
(5) Assessment linkage to curriculum.
(c) If the review panel determines that the prospective provider's written proposal satisfies the requirements of this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall recommend to the SBE that the prospective provider be approved as a provider.
(d) If the review panel determines that the prospective provider's written proposal does not meet the requirements of this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall confer with prospective provider to correct deficiencies for resubmission. The review panel shall confer with the prospective provider on as many occasions as the review panel deems productive. Thereafter, if the prospective provider's written proposal is deemed to meet the requirements of this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall recommend to the SBE that the prospective provider be approved as a provider.
(e) In addition to any other lawful consideration, the SBE may base its approval or disapproval of a prospective provider upon any of the items listed in this section or the recommendation of the review panel.
(f) A provider approved by the SBE pursuant to this section is only authorized to provide training using the training curriculum it submitted pursuant to subdivision (a).
Education Code 99236
Education Code 99237
Education Code 99240
(Amended Register 2007, No. 47)