(a) A teacher with a designated subjects teaching credential or a service credential with a special class authorization may enroll in a course that meets the minimum requirements of staff development in methods of specially designed content instruction delivered in English, as described in Section 44253.3, 44253.4, 44253.7, or 44253.10.
(b) The commission, in consultation with the Superintendent, shall establish guidelines for the provision of staff development pursuant to this section that are at least as rigorous as the guidelines established pursuant to Section 44253.10. The commission and the Superintendent may designate guidelines established pursuant to Section 44253.10 in satisfaction of this subdivision. Staff development pursuant to this section shall be consistent with the guidelines of the commission.
(1) To ensure the highest standards of program quality and effectiveness, the guidelines shall include quality standards applicable to persons who train others to perform staff development training, as well as for persons who provide the training.
(2) The guidelines shall require that staff development offered pursuant to this section be aligned with the teacher preparation that leads to the issuance of a certificate pursuant to Section 44253.3.
(3) The guidelines and standards established by the commission to implement this section shall comply with federal law.
(4) The commission shall review staff development programs in relation to the guidelines and standards established pursuant to this section. The review shall include all programs offered pursuant to this section. If the commission finds that a program meets the applicable guidelines and standards, the commission shall forward a report of its findings to the chief executive officer of the sponsoring school district, county office of education, or regionally accredited college or university. If the commission finds that a program does not meet the applicable guidelines or standards, or both, the report of the commission shall specify the areas of noncompliance and the time period in which a second review must occur. If a second review reveals a pattern of continued noncompliance with the applicable guidelines or standards, or both, the sponsoring agency shall be prohibited from continuing to offer the program to teachers.
(c) The staff development may be sponsored by a school district, county office of education, or regionally accredited college or university that meets the standards included in the guidelines established pursuant to this section or an organization that meets those standards and that is approved by the commission. An equivalent course may be taken by a teacher at a regionally accredited college or university in order to satisfy the staff development requirement.
Once the commission makes a determination that a college or university class is equivalent, no further review of the class shall be required.
(d) (1) A teacher who completes the staff development described in this section shall be awarded a certificate of completion in methods of specially designed content instruction delivered in English.
(2) A teacher who completes the staff development described in this section is allowed to provide specially designed content instruction delivered in English, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 44253.2.
(3) A teacher who completes the staff development described in this section may not be assigned to provide content instruction delivered in the primary language of the pupil, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 44253.2.
(e) A teacher who completes a staff development program in methods of specially designed content instruction delivered in English pursuant to this section shall receive a certificate of completion from the commission upon submitting an application, a staff development verification form to be furnished by the commission and payment of a fee, as determined by the commission, not to exceed forty-five dollars ($45).
(f) The certificate of completion is valid in all public schools.
A teacher who has been issued a certificate of completion may be assigned indefinitely to provide the instructional services named on the certificate in a school district, county office of education, or school administered under the authority of the Superintendent.
(g) Teacher assignments made in accordance with this section shall be included in the reports required by Sections 44225.6 and 44258.9.
(h) The governing board of each school district shall make reasonable efforts to provide limited-English-proficient pupils in need of English language development instruction with teachers who hold appropriate credentials, language development specialist certificates, or cross-cultural language and academic development certificates that authorize English language development instruction.
However, a teacher awarded a certificate or certificates of completion pursuant to this section shall be deemed certificated and competent to provide the services listed on that certificate of completion.
(i) A teacher completing staff development pursuant to this section shall be credited with three semester units or four quarter units for each block of 45 clock hours completed for the purpose of meeting the requirements set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 44253.3.
(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 345, Sec. 2.)
Education Code 44225.6
Education Code 44253.2
Education Code 44253.3
Education Code 44253.4
Education Code 44253.7
Education Code 44253.10
Education Code 44258.9