Oakdale Jt. USD | AR 6161.1 Instruction
Selection And Evaluation Of Instructional Materials
Criteria for Selection and Adoption of Instructional Materials
In recommending textbooks or other instructional materials for adoption by the Board of Education, the Superintendent or designee shall ensure that such materials are aligned to any applicable academic content standards adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) pursuant to Education Code 60605 and/or Common Core Standards adopted pursuant to Education Code 60605.8.
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
For grades K-8, the Superintendent or designee shall select instructional materials from among the list of materials adopted by the SBE and/or other materials that have not been adopted by the SBE but are aligned with the state content standards and/or the Common Core Standards. (Education Code 60200, 60210)
(cf. 6161.11 - Supplementary Instructional Materials)
For grades 9-12, the Superintendent or designee shall review instructional materials in history-social science, mathematics, English/language arts, and science using a standards map in order to determine the extent to which the materials are aligned to state academic content standards and/or the Common Core Standards (Education Code 60200, 60210) provided by publishers that comply with the requirements of Education Code 60040-60052, 60060-60062, and 60226 (Education Code 60400).
Any materials adopted:
1. Shall not reflect adversely upon persons because of their race or ethnicity, gender, religion, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, occupation, or other characteristic listed in Education Code 220, nor contain any sectarian or denominational doctrine or propaganda contrary to law (Education Code 51501, 60044).
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
2. Shall to the satisfaction of the Board, be accurate, objective, current, and suited to the needs and comprehension of district students at their respective grade levels (Education Code 60045).
3. With the exception of literature and trade books, use proper grammar and spelling (Education Code 60045).
4. Shall not expose students to a commercial brand name, product, or corporate or company logo unless the Board makes a specific finding that the use is appropriate based on one of the following: (Education Code 60048, 60200).
a. The commercial brand name, product, or corporate or company logo is used in text for an educational purpose as defined in guidelines or frameworks adopted by the SBE.
b. The appearance of a commercial brand name, product, or corporate or company logo in an illustration is incidental to the general nature of the illustration.
(cf. 1325 - Advertising and Promotion)
5. If the materials are technology-based materials, are both available and comparable to other, equivalent instructional materials (Education Code 60052).
Conflict of Interest
To ensure integrity and impartiality in the evaluation and selection of instructional materials, any district employee who is participating in the evaluation of instructional materials and not otherwise designated in the district's conflict of interest code shall sign a disclosure statement indicating that he/she shall not accept any emolument, money, or other valuable thing or inducement to directly or indirectly introduce, recommend, vote for, or otherwise influence the adoption or purchase of any instructional material (Education Code 60072). Sample copies of instructional materials are excepted from this prohibition (Education Code 60075).
Regulation OAKDALE JOINT UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: July 12, 2010 Oakdale, California
revised: August 12, 2013