English Learners; English Language Teacher Observation Protocol
(a) On or before June 30, 2020, the department shall develop a standardized English language teacher observation protocol for use by teachers in evaluating a pupil's English language proficiency, as required by paragraph (2) of subdivision (f) of Section 313.
(b) (1) The protocol shall be designed to be used by teachers to evaluate a pupil's use of English while engaging in academic content learning, including interactive language use with peers.
(2) The protocol shall be designed to allow teachers to assess language practices across a range of proficiency levels in order to help teachers identify pupils' performance along the continuum of progress toward proficiency in English.
(3) The protocol shall be designed to be used for all English learner pupils, including those who have individualized education programs.
(4) The protocol shall be designed for use by content area teachers at all grade levels, English language development teachers, bilingual teachers, and special education teachers, and shall be designed for ease of use by educators.
(5) The protocol shall be aligned to the English language development standards and the performance levels for the English language development test described in Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 60810) of Part 33 of Division 4 of Title 2.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that the protocol additionally be useful to all of the following:
(1) Teachers, as a formative assessment tool for purposes of supporting pupils' progress toward proficiency in English during the school year.
(2) Teachers' discussions with parents regarding pupils' progress toward English language proficiency.
(3) Institutions of higher education in the preparation of new teachers.
(d) (1) In developing this protocol, the department shall consult, at a minimum, with current content area teachers at different grade levels, English language development teachers, bilingual teachers, and special education teachers, and with experts with demonstrated experience in observing and documenting pupil academic language practices and in developing and administering assessments for English learners. The department shall ensure that the majority of individuals with whom it consults are currently teaching, credentialed teachers who regularly instruct English learner pupils.
(2) In developing the protocol, the department shall pilot the protocol with educators and pupils, and refine instruments and guidelines as needed.
(3) The department shall also conduct a validation process to ensure the protocol appropriately assesses the intended target language constructs, demonstrates a meaningful relationship to the performance levels for the English language development test and assessed classroom language use, and reflects pupil progress toward attaining targeted constructs.
(e) The department shall provide guidance to school districts, county offices of education, and charter schools on the use of the protocol.
(f) The department shall develop and make available to school districts, county offices of education, and charter schools professional development tools to train teachers on the use of the protocol. These tools may include, but are not limited to, audio and video samples of English learner pupils' language use for the purpose of assisting educators using the protocol in calibrating judgments about observed language use.
(Added by Stats. 2018, Ch. 32, Sec. 3.)