topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Paradise SD |  AR  5111  Students


arrow Previous bar Next arrow

Age of Admittance to Kindergarten and First Grade

At the beginning of each school year, the Superintendent or designee shall enroll any eligible child who will have his/her fifth or sixth birthday on or before September 1 of that year into kindergarten or first grade, as applicable. (Education Code 48000, 48010)

Any child who will have his/her fifth birthday from September 2 through December 2 of the school year shall be offered a transitional kindergarten (TK) program in accordance with law and Board policy. (Education Code 48000)

(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)

(cf. 6170.1 - Transitional Kindergarten)

On a case-by-case basis, a child who will turn five years old in a given school year may be enrolled in kindergarten or TK at any time during that school year with the approval of the child's parent/guardian, provided that: (Education Code 48000)

1. The Board of Education determines that admittance is in the best interest of the child.

2. The parent/guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance.

(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)

The Superintendent or designee shall make a recommendation to the Board regarding whether a child should be granted early entry to kindergarten. In doing so, the Superintendent or designee shall consider various factors including the availability of classroom space and any negotiated maximum class size.

(cf. 6151 - Class Size)

(cf. 7111 - Evaluating Existing Buildings)

Documentation of Age/Grade

Prior to the admission of a child to kindergarten or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof of the child's age. (Education Code 48002)

Evidence of the child's age may include: (Education Code 48002)

1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth

2. A duly attested baptism certificate

3. A passport

4. When none of the above documents is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent/guardian

5. Other means prescribed by the Board


approved: May 19, 2015 Paradise, California

revised: August 21, 2018