Perris Union HSD | AR 6161.2 Instruction
Overdue, Damaged or Lost Instructional Materials
1. Principals will regularly require staff to check for lost, stolen or damaged equipment or property and immediately bill students responsible for such.
2. No later than one month before the end of each semester, an accounting of district-owned property loaned to students will be made by the school site staff.
3. Damaged, stolen or lost property will be noted and a bill will be made out to each student responsible for said property.
4. A copy of this charge will be sent by mail to parents/guardians of the responsible students stating what the damaged, stolen, or lost item is and the amount due the school. Also contained in this letter will be the message that grades, diplomas and transcripts will be withheld until remuneration is forthcoming.
5. Students must be provided due process rights before their grades, diplomas or transcripts are withheld. The following procedures shall be followed:
a. Within five school days after notification of a charge for property, the student or parent/guardian may request a hearing with the assistant principal regarding the charge.
b. Within five school days from the meeting with the assistant principal, the student or parent/guardian may request a hearing with the principal.
c. Within five school days after the meeting with the principal, the student, parent/guardian may request a meeting with the Superintendent or designee.
6. Grades, diplomas and transcripts will be withheld from those students who owe money to the school because of lost, stolen or damaged property until proper remuneration is made.
7. Instructional materials may be prohibited for instructional use outside school hours if a student has outstanding charges.
Regulation PERRIS UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: 12/16/87 Perris, California