A district may do any of the following:
(a) Levy an assessment which is contingent upon the development of land and which may be made payable at the time of approval of a tentative subdivision map, vesting tentative subdivision map, final subdivision map, or zoning change that makes or proposes to make a significant change in the use of the land, as determined by the legislative body by ordinance. The contingent assessment may be made payable upon receipt of a building permit for any parcels which have already received all other required approvals for development. The developer shall pay for any contingent assessment payable over time while the developer holds title to the property. The amount of the contingent assessment shall be in proportion to the benefit to be received by each parcel, and shall be specified as a fixed dollar amount per unit of area for parcels developed into each of several land use categories, as determined by the legislative body, except that the legislative body may provide that the fixed dollar amount may be adjusted annually by an interest rate, as determined by the legislative body by ordinance. The amount of the cumulative interest rate adjustment shall not exceed 100 percent of the fixed dollar amount. The contingent assessment may be made payable as a capital amount or over time, with interest as provided by the legislative body by ordinance.
(b) Levy a contingent assessment pursuant to subdivision (a) together with a noncontingent assessment or special tax levied pursuant to the financing act such that after all levies have been paid, the total of contingent assessments and levies made pursuant to the financing act which are expected to be paid on behalf of each parcel will be in proportion to the portion of project benefits expected to be received by each parcel, as determined by the legislative body.
(c) The proceeds of a contingent assessment may be used for any of the following purposes:
(1) To pay the cost of planning, designing, and constructing capital facilities and related incidental expenses which are allowable uses of proceeds of the levy made pursuant to the financing act, or accumulated for these purposes, in which case all interest earned on the funds shall be used for these same purposes.
(2) To pay all or part of the principal and interest on debt incurred pursuant to the financing act, relieving the obligation to pay the levy made pursuant to the financing act in whole or part in a manner determined by the legislative body, but only to the degree that proceeds of the contingent assessment are actually collected and available for this purpose.
(3) To repay amounts paid pursuant to a financing act in order to help achieve the balance of levies which is specified in subdivision (b) in a manner determined by the legislative body.
(4) To make payments to an investor pursuant to a reimbursement agreement entered into pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with Section 53190).
(5) For any combination of the above purposes, as determined by the legislative body.
(d) Enter into and enforce a reimbursement agreement pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with Section 53190).
(Added by Stats. 1986, Ch. 1512, Sec. 1.)