Perris Union HSD | AR 5111 Students
Age of Admittance to Grades K-1
A child shall be eligible for enrollment in kindergarten or first grade, at the beginning of the school year or at a later time in the same year, if the child has his/her fifth or sixth birthday, respectively, on or before one of the following dates: (Education Code 48000, 48010)
1. December 2 of the 2011-12 school year
2. November 1 of the 2012-13 school year
3. October 1 of the 2013-14 school year
4. September 1 of the 2014-15 school year and each school year thereafter
Any child who will have his/her fifth birthday between the date listed above for the applicable school year and December 2 shall be offered a transitional kindergarten program in accordance with law and Board policy. (Education Code 48000)
(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)
(cf. 6170.1 - Transitional Kindergarten)
On a case-by-case basis, a child who reaches age five after the date listed above for the applicable school year may be admitted to kindergarten at any time during the school year with the approval of the child's parent/guardian, provided that: (Education Code 48000)
1. The Superintendent or designee determines that the admittance is in the best interests of the child.
2. The parent/guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance.
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
In determining whether a child may be granted early entry to kindergarten, the Superintendent or designee may also consider the availability of classroom space and any negotiated maximum class size.
(cf. 6151 - Class Size)
(cf. 7111 - Evaluating Existing Buildings)
Documentation of Age/Grade
Prior to the admission of a child to kindergarten or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof of the child's age. (Education Code 48002)
Evidence of the child's age may include: (Education Code 48002)
1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
2. A duly attested baptism certificate
When none of the foregoing is obtainable, the parent/guardian may provide any other appropriate means of proving the age of the child. (Education Code 48002)
A student enrolling in a district school at any other grade level shall present records from his/her previous school district documenting his/her age and current grade level.
(cf. 5125 - Student Records)
(cf. 6146.3 - Reciprocity of Academic Credit)
Regulation PERRIS UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 21, 2012 Perris, California