topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Petaluma City Schools |  BP  6145.6  Instruction

International Exchange   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

The Board of Education recognizes that personal contact between students of different countries promotes global awareness and international understanding. Letters, computer links, visits and student exchange programs all can benefit students and the community at large.

With Board approval, a district school may establish a sister-school relationship with a school in another country.

Student Exchange Programs

The Board welcomes the enrollment of foreign exchange students participating in programs that meet criteria established by the United States Information Agency for teenager exchange visitor programs. The Board further encourages district students to take any opportunities they may have to participate in such programs and study in another country.

To ensure that district facilities will not be overcrowded, the Superintendent or designee may limit the number of foreign exchange students to be accepted at any district high school during any school year.

The district shall incur no financial obligations when sending or receiving foreign exchange students. Program sponsors shall provide assurance of their responsibility for health, accident and liability insurance, the student's home placement, and the resolution of any related personal difficulties which may arise.

The Superintendent or designee shall establish district criteria for issuing regular or honorary diplomas to foreign exchange students. The principal or designee may refer to these criteria when helping foreign exchange students select classes, academic goals and cocurricular activities which correspond with their individual qualifications, needs and interests.

(cf. 5127 - Graduation Ceremonies and Activities)

District staff shall provide relevant counseling to district students who wish to study in a foreign country. Students seeking district graduation credit for courses successfully completed in the foreign country must provide evidence of academic progress.

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

Legal Reference:


35160 Authority of governing boards

35160.1 Broad authority of school districts

51225.5 Honorary diplomas; foreign exchange students

Management Resources:


California Interscholastic Federation Bylaws: Article 2, Section 212


adopted: June 25, 2002 Petaluma, California