topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Petaluma City Schools |  AR  6145.6  Instruction

International Exchange   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow


In order to approve the admission of a foreign exchange student, the Superintendent or designee must receive a written request for enrollment by May 20 of the preceding school year.

All foreign exchange students must meet state and district immunization requirements.

(cf. 5141.22 - Infectious Diseases)

(cf. 5141.31 - Immunizations)


Foreign exchange students shall be eligible for participation in interscholastic sports if their sponsoring program is listed in the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) bylaws. Participation by other foreign students must be approved by the CIF section. (CIF bylaws, Article 2, Section 212)

Transfer of Credits

Students who seek graduation credits for academic work completed in a foreign country must provide the Superintendent or designee with official transcripts, translated into English, which indicate:

1. Classes successfully completed

2. The amount of time each class met and the total number of class periods held during the grading period, and

3. A descriptive or numerical evaluation of the student's academic performance

At his/her discretion, the Superintendent or designee may assign pass or fail grades whenever the above transcript provides descriptive evaluations rather than letter or numerical grades.


1. Foreign exchange students will be considered for a regular diploma if they have satisfactorily completed all of the following:

a. Two semesters of full-time enrollment, or one semester of full-time enrollment with an additional full-time semester of transferable credit from another California high school

b. Course work comparable to the courses required for graduation from this district, as evidenced by official transcripts from the student's native country

c. District proficiency tests

(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)

2. Foreign exchange students who are not eligible for a regular diploma will receive an honorary diploma, provided they have completed at least one semester of full-time enrollment and achieved at least a 2.0 grade point average.

3. At the discretion of the principal or designee, foreign exchange students who do not meet requirements for a regular or an honorary diploma may, at the end of their visit, be given a letter certifying the time period for which they were enrolled.


approved: June 25, 2002 Petaluma, California