Legal Resources | | 6322
Part A - Improving Basic Programs Operated by Local Educational Agencies. Subpart 1 - Basic Program Requirements. Coordination requirements.
(a) In general
Each local educational agency receiving assistance under this part shall carry out the activities described in subsection (b) of this section with Head Start agencies and, if feasible, other entities carrying out early childhood development programs such as the Early Reading First program.
The activities referred to in subsection (a) of this section are activities that increase coordination between the local educational agency and a Head Start agency and, if feasible, other entities carrying out early childhood development programs, such as the Early Reading First program, serving children who will attend the schools of the local educational agency, including -
(1) developing and implementing a systematic procedure for receiving records regarding such children, transferred with parental consent from a Head Start program or, where applicable, another early childhood development program such as the Early Reading First program;
(2) establishing channels of communication between school staff and their counterparts (including teachers, social workers, and health staff) in such Head Start agencies or other entities carrying out early childhood development programs such as the Early Reading First program, as appropriate, to facilitate coordination of programs;
(3) conducting meetings involving parents, kindergarten or elementary school teachers, and Head Start teachers or, if appropriate, teachers from other early childhood development programs such as the Early Reading First program, to discuss the developmental and other needs of individual children;
(4) organizing and participating in joint transition-related training of school staff, Head Start program staff, Early Reading First program staff, and, where appropriate, other early childhood development program staff; and
(5) linking the educational services provided by such local educational agency with the services provided by local Head Start agencies and entities carrying out Early Reading First programs.
(c) Coordination of regulations
The Secretary shall work with the Secretary of Health and Human Services to coordinate regulations promulgated under this part with regulations promulgated under the Head Start Act [42 USC 9831 et seq.].
(Pub. L. 89-10, title I, Sec. 1120B, as added Pub. L. 107-110, title I, Sec. 101, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1512.)