Legal Resources | Education Code | EC 33195.6
Article 6. Verification of Heritage School Operation
(a) A director of a heritage school shall undergo at least 15 hours of health and safety training. The training shall include all of the following components:
(1) Pediatric first aid.
(2) Pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
(3) A preventive health practices course or courses that include instruction in the recognition, management, and prevention of infectious diseases, including immunizations, and prevention of childhood injuries.
(4) Training in pediatric first aid and CPR pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2) shall be provided by a program approved by the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the Emergency Medical Services Authority pursuant to Section 1797.191 of the Health and Safety Code.
(5) Training in preventive health practices pursuant to paragraph (3) shall be provided by a training program approved by the Emergency Medical Services Authority.
(6) In addition to the training programs specified in paragraphs (4) and (5), training programs or courses in pediatric first aid, pediatric CPR, and preventive health practices offered or approved by an accredited postsecondary educational institution are considered to be approved sources of training that may be used to satisfy the training requirements of paragraphs (1) to (3), inclusive.
(7) Persons who, prior to the effective date of this section, have completed a course or courses in preventive health practices as described in paragraph (3), and have a certificate of completion of a course or courses in preventive health practices, or certified copies of transcripts that identify the number of hours and the specific course or courses taken for training in preventive health practices, shall be deemed to have met the training requirement for preventive health practices pursuant to paragraph (3).
(b) All employees and volunteers of a heritage school shall be in good health, as verified by a health screening, including a test for tuberculosis, performed by, or under the supervision of, a licensed physician and surgeon.
(c) Pupils attending heritage schools shall have access to working sinks, toilets, and drinking water.
(d) No pupil attending a heritage school shall have access to medication or cleaning supplies, except as otherwise provided by law.
(e) A heritage school, as defined in Section 33195.4, shall not be subject to licensure by the State Department of Social Services as a child day care center pursuant to Chapter 3.4 (commencing with Section 1596.70) or Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 1596.90) of Division 2 of the Health and Safety Code.
(f) Upon a pupil's enrollment in a heritage school, the heritage school shall provide a notice to the pupil's parent or guardian stating that the heritage school is exempt from child care licensure, and that attendance at a heritage school does not satisfy California's compulsory education requirements pursuant to Section 48200.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 286, Sec. 1.)
Education Code 33195.4
Health and Safety Code 1596.70
Health and Safety Code 1596.90 et seq.
Health and Safety Code 1797.191