The Conservation Education Service shall have the following additional powers and duties:
(1) To assist school districts, community college districts, and county superintendents of schools in preparing teachers to present concepts of conservation, the effects of pollution and major land alterations on ecological systems, and the factors affecting the quality of the environment.
(2) To cooperate with and assist community colleges, state colleges, and the University of California in the development of preservice programs designed to prepare teachers to present concepts and facts relating to conservation, the effects of pollution and major land alterations on ecological systems, and factors affecting the quality of the environment.
(3) To assist school districts, community college districts, and county superintendents of schools in the development or acquisition, or both, of materials relating to wise use of resources and environmental issues.
(4) To assist districts in the development of educational curriculum and educational opportunities for students, relating to the conservation of resources, factors affecting ecological systems and the quality of man's environment. Such opportunities may include but shall not be limited to, the development of outdoor education programs, nature centers, conservation and wildlife education camps, and participation in field trips.
(5) To establish and maintain a central library and repository for conservation education materials pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 8730) of this chapter.
(6) To review and to evaluate each application for a grant to, or a contract with, institutions of higher education, state and local education agencies, regional educational research organizations, and other public and private agencies, organizations and institutions (including libraries and museums) under the terms of the Federal Environmental Education Act (Public Law 91-516), to support research, demonstration, and pilot projects designed to educate the public on the problems of environmental quality and ecological balance, except that no grant can be made other than to a nonprofit agency, organization or institution.
(Enacted by Stats. 1976, Ch. 1010.)
Education Code 8730