Ravenswood City SD | BP 6152 Instruction
The Board of Trustees believes students should be assigned to classes and/or grouped in a manner that provides the most effective learning environment for all students.
When assigning students to specific classes, the principal or designee may consider the following criteria:
1. Staff recommendation, including, but not limited to, the recommendations of teachers and counselors
2. Skills and classroom management style of individual teachers
3. Student skill level as indicated by achievement and testing data
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
(cf. 6162.51 - Standardized Testing and Reporting Program)
4. Balance of high, medium, and low academic achievers
5. Student interests, readiness, behavior, and motivation
6. Student/teacher ratios and, if relevant, class size reduction considerations
(cf. 6151 - Class Size)
The principal or designee may accept from parents/guardians any information which would be helpful in making placement decisions. However, a parent/guardian who provides such information shall be informed that a request for a specific teacher shall be one of many factors which may be taken into account when determining his/her child's placement.
During the school year, the principal or designee may make any adjustments in class placement which he/she considers beneficial to the student or the educational program.
35020 Duties of employees fixed by governing board
35160 Authority of the board
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION PUBLICATIONS
Elementary Makes the Grade!, 2000
California Department of Education, Curriculum and Instruction: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci
National Association for the Education of Young Children: http://www.naeyc.org
Policy RAVENSWOOD CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: October 14, 2010 East Palo Alto, California