Subchapter 1. Elementary Instructional Materials. Adoption of Curriculum Frameworks, Evaluation Criteria and Instructional Materials - Procedures. For State Board procedures relating to text books, see Div. 20. Public Meetings Held by the Commission and the State Board of Education Regarding Instructional Materials.
(a) Prior to recommending instructional materials to the SBE for adoption, the Commission shall do the following:
(1) Not more than 30 days after the issuance of the IMR/CRE Report of Findings, the Commission shall hold a publicly-noticed meeting during which any interested party may provide the Commission with written or oral comments regarding the submitted instructional materials and/or the recommendations contained in the IMR/CRE Report of Findings. The primary purpose of this publicly-noticed meeting is to afford the Commission an opportunity to receive comment from those who disagree with any part of the IMR/CRE Report of Findings. The complaining party, and any interested party adverse to the complaining party, shall be provided a full and fair opportunity to present comments.
(2) Nothing in this section shall prevent the Commission from having additional publicly-noticed meetings that the Commission deems necessary to receive additional input from members of the public or to utilize IMRs, CREs or other content experts as provided for in section 9519(j).
(3) Commissioners must evaluate instructional materials according to the SBE adopted content standards, curriculum frameworks, evaluation criteria, and social content standards
(4) Not less than 30 days after the Commission meeting discussed in subdivision (a)(1) above, the Commission will hold a publicly-noticed meeting at which time it will adopt its recommendations to the SBE regarding instructional materials, and edits and corrections. To adopt its recommendations, the Commission must conduct a roll call vote with at least 9 affirmative votes required for the recommendations, or at least 10 affirmative votes required for the recommendations when all 18 commissioners vote.
(5) The Commission's recommendations shall be compiled into a document titled ?Commission Advisory Report.? Those recommendations may be different than those of the review panels as contained in the IMR/CRE Report of Findings. The Commission shall not recommend rewrites of instructional materials. The Commission Advisory Report shall be presented to the SBE along with the IMR/CRE Report of Findings.
(b) Following the Commission meetings described above, the SBE will hold at least one publicly-noticed meeting before adopting both instructional materials and edits and corrections and issuing its Adoption Report.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 60005
Education Code 60206
Education Code 60200
Education Code 60203
Education Code 60204
(Amended by Register 2012, No. 2.)