For the purpose of this Subchapter:
(a) "Faculty" means those employees of a community college district who are employed in positions that are not designated as supervisory or management for the purposes of Article 5 (commencing with Section 3540) of Chapter 10.7 of Division 4 of Title 1 of the Government Code, and for which minimum qualifications for hire are specified by the Board of Governors.
(b) "Academic senate," "faculty council," and "faculty senate" means an organization formed in accordance with the provisions of this Subchapter whose primary function, as the representative of the faculty, is to make recommendations to the administration of a college and to the governing board of a district with respect to academic and professional matters. For purposes of this Subchapter, reference to the term "academic senate" also constitutes reference to "faculty council" or "faculty senate."
(c) "Academic and professional matters" means the following policy development and implementation matters:
(1) curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines;
(2) degree and certificate requirements;
(3) grading policies;
(4) educational program development;
(5) standards or policies regarding student preparation and success;
(6) district and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles;
(7) faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports;
(8) policies for faculty professional development activities;
(9) processes for program review;
(10) processes for institutional planning and budget development; and
(11) other academic and professional matters as are mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate.
(d) "Consult collegially" means that the district governing board shall develop policies on academic and professional matters through either or both of the following methods according to its own discretion:
(1) relying primarily upon the advice and judgment of the academic senate; or
(2) agreeing that the district governing board, or such representatives as it may designate. and the representatives of the academic senate shall have the obligation to reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the governing board effectuating such recommendations.
Education Code 66700
Education Code 70901
Education Code 70901
Education Code 70902
(Amended by Register 94, No. 38).