(a) Requirements for the Restricted Specialist Teaching Credential in Reading for grades kindergarten through six.
(1) For initial issuance:
(A) Possession of a valid California teaching credential requiring a baccalaureate degree and teacher preparation, including student teaching.
(B) Possession of a Miller-Unruh Reading Certificate issued prior to June 30, 1987, pursuant to the Miller-Unruh Basic Reading Act of 1965, or passage of the National Teacher Examination for Reading Specialist (#30) and submission of an application for the Miller-Unruh Reading Certificate prior December 1, 1987.
(C) Letters from current or previous employers verifying completion of three years of teaching experience, including at least one year in a reading specialist position within the last five years.
(D) Official transcripts showing completion of the following college or university courses:
1. a basic course in the teaching of elementary school reading, and
2. a basic course in the teaching of elementary school language, and
3. a basic course in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities, and
4. a course in directed clinical practice in the remediation of reading disabilities.
(E) The fee for initial issuance of this credential shall be one-half of the application fee as specified in Section 80487.
(g) Term: the Restricted Specialist Teaching Credential in Reading shall be initially issued and renewed for the period of time specified in Section 80048. Renewals shall be subject to submission of a completed credential application form and the fee as specified in Section 80487.
(3) Authorization: the Restricted Specialist Teaching Credential in Reading authorizes the holder to serve as a reading specialist in grades kindergarten through six.
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44265
(Amended by Register 88, No. 33.)