When an employing agency finds that an individual has rendered service in a position requiring certification during a period in which the individual did not hold the appropriate certification or a temporary county certificate pursuant to Education Code Sec. 44332 to cover the service, the employing agency may submit a validation of service request to the Commission.
The following requirements apply to all requests for validation of service. Prior to approval, Commission staff shall verify that the provisions of Education Code Sec. 45036 have been met.
(a) Staff shall determine whether the following conditions have been met:
(1) At all times during the period of service in question, the applicant had the necessary qualifications for the credential required by law for the position in which the service was rendered.
(2) A valid credential required for such position has been issued to the applicant by the Commission after the period of service to be validated was rendered.
(b) Each validation of service request must be submitted on form CL 224 (revised 1-96) provided by the Commission. The information on the form will include the following:
(1) The name, address, social security number, and birthdate of the applicant.
(2) The name of the employer, the position the applicant held during the period requiring validation, the specific type of certification required for that position, and the specific dates of service requiring validation.
(3) The employing agency must indicate the appropriate reason for the request for validation on the form and/or include a statement why the applicant was allowed to begin service and continue to serve without having the appropriate credential or temporary county certificate. The explanation either on the form or a separate statement must be signed by the chief administrative officer of the district for which the service was rendered or the chief administrative officer of the county if the service was rendered for the county office of education.
(4) The applicant must verify that he or she has applied for or has been issued the credential required for the position for which the validation of service request has been made, the facts contained in the request are true, and the applicant approves of the employer's request for validation of service.
(5) The chief administrative officer or an appropriate representative of the chief administrative officer of the county office of education must verify whether or not a temporary county certificate was issued to cover the period of service in question.
(c) Supporting materials necessary to verify that the individual qualified for the appropriate certification must be submitted along with the request for validation of service form CL-224. Such materials may include but not be limited to official transcripts, verification of the date of program completion from the authorized person at a Commission-approved college or university, or original letters of experience.
Education Code 45036
(Amended by Register 96, No. 26.)