Approval of Programs of Preparation for the Authorization to Teach the Seriously Emotionally Disturbed.
(a) Programs of direct instruction shall be designed for candidates to develop specific skills and knowledge in each of the following competency areas:
(1) Causes, characteristics, and definitions of seriously emotionally disturbed pupils.
(A) Historical development.
(B) Characteristics relative to problems of environmental conflict, personal disturbance, and learning disorders.
(C) Etiological and dynamic theories.
(D) Diagnostic, educational and medical models.
(E) Developmental/emotional/educational ramifications of children born addicted
(2) Assessment and curriculum design in academic and social domains.
(A) Academic skills.
(B) Affective development.
(C) Social skills.
(D) Self management and study skills.
(E) Vocational skills.
(F) Behavior and impulse control.
(3) Repertoire of varied instructional strategies.
(A) Teacher directed/mediated.
(E) Group and individual.
(4) Classroom and advanced behavior management.
(A) Classroom organization.
(B) Ecological intervention.
(C) Contingency management.
(D) Crisis intervention.
(E) Ethical considerations.
(F) Selection of least intrusive interventions.
(G) Behavioral data collection, interpretation and use.
(H) Individual and group techniques.
(I) Reintegration/mainstreaming approaches.
(5) Consultation and coordination.
(A) Community resources, including mental health agencies, child protective services, regional centers and probation departments.
(B) Parent/professional collaboration.
(C) Other professionals, including resource specialists and regular classroom professionals.
(b) Field work shall consist of:
(1) Application of the knowledges and skills gained in subdivisions (a)(l) through (5) of this section.
(2) Assessment in a public school setting, or private school of equivalent status.
(3) Completion of a minimum of 100 clock hours of direct contact with pupils.
(4) Supervision of the student by at least one person who is appropriately certificated for the area of service.
Education Code 44225(b)
Education Code 44227
Education Code 44256(c)
Education Code 44265
(Amended by Register 89, No 46.)