Chapter 11. Special Programs Subchapter 21. Mathematics And Reading Professional Development Program
(a) Each training curriculum for training pursuant to Education Code section 99327.5 shall undergo a formal review process before being approved by the SBE. The review shall be based on Education Code section 99237.5, subdivisions (a)(4) and (b), California Code of Regulations, title 5, section 11985, and subdivision (c) of this section.
(b) The formal review process shall include a review panel consisting of two or more reviewers designated by the SBE and acting under its direction. To be a qualified reviewer, a reviewer shall have experience teaching EL pupils and have knowledge of information related to mathematics or reading, as applicable, including:
(1) Academic content standards and ELD standards;
(2) Curriculum frameworks;
(3) Instructional and teaching strategies included in the SBE adopted and standards-aligned core and ancillary instructional materials;
(4) Current and confirmed scientific research and current and confirmed scientific research related to EL pupils;
(5) Certified supplemental materials for English learners; and
(6) Linkage between curriculum and assessment with the use of standardized tests, curriculum-embedded assessments, the STAR system, CELDT, and CAHSEE for diagnostic information related to EL pupils.
(c) The review panel shall review each training curriculum submission for its ability to produce the following learning outcomes for participants:
(1) Knowledge and understanding of the language and content demands required for EL pupils to access grade level appropriate academic content standards and ELD standards;
(2) Knowledge and understanding of how standards are supported through the curriculum frameworks in regard to differentiating instruction through universal access related to mathematics or reading/language arts for EL pupils;
(3) Knowledge and understanding of current and confirmed scientific EL research with regard to teaching mathematics or reading/language arts and ELD, including how to apply this research to classroom practice in order to increase student learning and language acquisition;
(4) Knowledge and understanding of how to analyze and use data from multiple measures, including the components of the STAR program, CELDT, and curriculum-embedded assessments and how student results impact and inform instruction for EL pupils;
(5) Knowledge and understanding of how to plan and teach ELD and monitor student progress at each level of English proficiency;
(6) Knowledge and understanding of how to teach the ELD components of the SBE adopted instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight or standards-aligned instructional materials for grades nine through twelve;
(7) Demonstrate the ability to effectively and efficiently teach content standards using ELD standards and methodology to scaffold;
(8) Knowledge and understanding of oral language development, vocabulary development, and writing development;
(9) Knowledge and understanding of effective comprehension and instructional strategies to teach content through text and lesson analysis that support EL pupils in language development; and
(10) Knowledge and understanding of early intervention techniques for pupils experiencing difficulty.
(d) If the review panel determines that the training curriculum meets the requirements referenced in this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall recommend approval of the curriculum to the SBE.
(e) If the review panel determines that the prospective provider's curriculum does not meet the requirements of this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall confer with the prospective provider to correct deficiencies for resubmission. The review panel shall confer with the prospective provider on as many occasions as the review panel deems productive. Thereafter, if the prospective provider's curriculum is deemed to meet the requirements of this section based on documented findings, the review panel shall recommend to the SBE that the prospective provider's curriculum be approved.
(f) In addition to any other lawful consideration, the SBE may base its approval or disapproval of a training curriculum upon any of the items referenced in this section or the recommendation of the review panel.
Education Code 99236
Education Code 99237.5
(Amended Register 2007, No. 47)