Subchapter 19. Charter Schools. Article 2.5. Establishment and Revocation. Appeal of a District Charter Revocation to a County Board of Education.
This section establishes the procedures that a charter school and county office of education must follow if the charter school elects to appeal to a county board of education a district chartering authority's Final Decision to revoke the school's charter.
(a) Within 30 calendar days of receipt of a Final Decision revoking the school's charter, the charter school's governing body as described in the school's charter, shall approve and deliver a written Notice of Appeal to the county board of education that:
(1) Includes a copy of the Notice of Violation, Notice of Intent to Revoke and the Final Decision issued pursuant to this article except that the charter school shall not be responsible for providing these documents if the chartering authority did not provide them to the charter school as required in section 11968.5.2;
(2) Includes evidence of the final vote of the chartering authority, if available;
(3) Includes all evidence relied upon by the chartering authority in determining whether substantial evidence existed that the charter school failed to remedy one or more violations identified in the Notice(s) of Violation;
(4) Includes all evidence and correspondence submitted by the charter school's governing body as described in the school's charter in response to the chartering authority's Notice of Violation and Notice of Intent to Revoke;
(5) Includes minutes of any public meeting at which the chartering authority considers or makes its decision to revoke the school's charter, if available;
(6) Includes a written statement explaining why the charter school does not believe the district chartering authority's factual findings are supported by substantial evidence; and
(7) Identifies any procedural omissions or errors the charter school alleges to have occurred in the revocation process.
(b) If the county board of education does not issue a written decision that explains whether, in the county board of education's judgment, the district chartering authority's factual findings are supported by substantial evidence within 90 calendar days of receiving a Notice of Appeal that includes the documents listed in subdivision (a) of this section, the district chartering authority's decision is upheld, pending any further appeal.
(1) In determining whether the district chartering authority's factual findings are supported by substantial evidence, the county board of education shall consider whether the district chartering authority provided the charter school's governing body as described in the school's charter a Notice of Violation, a reasonable opportunity to remedy the identified violation(s), a Notice of Intent to Revoke, a public hearing, and Final Decision, pursuant to Articles 2 and 2.5 and Education Code sections 47607(c) through (e), inclusive.
(2) If the charter school submits a response to the Notice of Violation pursuant to section 11968.5.2(c), the county board of education shall, in determining whether the district chartering authority's factual findings are supported by substantial evidence, consider whether the charter school complied with the procedures set forth in that section.
(3) The county board of education shall also consider whether an alleged procedural deficiency negatively impacted the charter school's ability to refute or remedy the alleged violation or the chartering authority's ability to comply with its procedural obligations or authorizing duties.
(c) The county board of education shall provide the CDE and the chartering authority a copy of its written decision within 10 calendar days of its action.
(d) An appeal to a county board of education of a Notice of Revocation by Determination of a Severe and Imminent Threat to Pupil Health or Safety is subject to section 11968.5.3 rather than this section.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 47604.32
Education Code 47607
(New by Register 2011, No. 46.)