Chapter 1. Credentials Issued Under The Teacher Preparation and Licensing Law of 1970. Article 2. Credential Types, Authorizations, and Requirements. Specific Requirements for Level I and Clear or Level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential for Out-of-Country Credentialed Teachers.
(a) The minimum requirements for the five-year Level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential for individuals who complete special education programs outside the United States are:
(1) A baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or the equivalent as specified in 80457(c) if completed outside the United States.
(2) Completion of a special education teacher preparation program, including student teaching, determined to be equivalent to a program completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education in the United States as specified in 80457(c) and approved by the appropriate agency in the country where the program was completed at one of the following two levels:
(A) Comparable program: This is defined as 24 semester units of special education course work with at least 12 of the 24 semester units, including student teaching, in the specialty area sought; or
(B) Generic program: This is defined as 24 semester units of special education course work, including student teaching, that lacks focus in a specific specialty area. An individual with a generic program may apply for the Level I credential in Mild/Moderate Disabilities, Moderate/Severe Disabilities, or Early Childhood Special Education, but shall be required to verify completion of an equivalent Level I program as specified in 80048.3(a)(2) or preliminary program as specified in 80048.8(a)(2) prior to issuance of the Level II or clear credential.
(3) Submission of an application form as defined in 80001; the processing fee as specified in 80487; and fingerprint clearance pursuant to Education Code 44340.
(4) Meet the basic skills requirement as described in Education Code 44252. Individuals who meet the requirements in subdivisions (a)(1) through (a)(3) may be issued a five-year Level I credential, but must satisfy the basic skills requirement within one year of the date the credential is issued or the credential shall become invalid.
(b) The minimum requirements for the five-year Clear or Level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential for an individual who meets the requirements specified in (a)(1) through (a)(4) are:
(1) Subject-matter competence as specified in Education Code 44280, 44281, 44282, and 44310. Candidates for the specialty area of Early Childhood Special Education are exempt from this subject-matter competence requirement.
(3) Verification of knowledge of the Constitution of the United States, as specified in Education Code 44335, by one of the means described in 80415.
(4) The study of health education as specified in Education Code 44259(c)(4)(A).
(5) The study of computer-based technology that includes the uses of technology in educational settings as specified in Education Code 44275.4(d)(6).
(6) Two semester or three quarter unit non-special education pedagogy course.
(7) Supervised field experience in general education. This requirement may be satisfied by official transcript verifying one semester unit of general education student teaching or a letter verifying 45 clock hours of supervised field experience in a general education classroom.
(8) One of the following:
(A) For the Level II credential, completion of the requirements specified in 80048.4(a)(4), (a)(5), and (a)(6); or
(B) For the clear credential, completion of the requirements specified in 80048.8.1.
(9) Recommendation from a Commission-approved Level II or clear Education Specialist Instruction Credential program as specified in Education Code 44227(b).
(10) Submission of an application form as defined in 80001 and the processing fee as specified in 80487.
Education Code 44225(q)
Education Code 44227(b)
Education Code 44252
Education Code 44259
Education Code 44265
Education Code 44275.4
Education Code 44280
Education Code 44281
Education Code 44282
Education Code 44283
Education Code 44310
Education Code 44335
Education Code 44339
Education Code 44340
Education Code 44341
(Added by Register 2013, No. 3.)