Adoption of Curriculum Frameworks, Evaluation Criteria and Instructional Materials - Procedures. English Language Arts/English Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
(a) The State Board of Education (SBE) adoption of basic instructional materials for English language arts/English language development (ELA/ELD) scheduled to occur no later than November 30, 2015, shall be conducted according to the following requirements:
(1) CDE staff shall prepare the following documents for review and approval of the SBE at a public meeting:
(A) A Schedule of Significant Events specific to the ELA/ELD adoption;
(B) A notice of intent to hold the ELA/ELD adoption with the information specified in section 9517.3(a)(2)(A) and (B);
(2) A notice of intent to hold the ELA/ELD adoption shall be posted on the CDE Web site, shall be mailed to all publishers who have participated in prior adoptions, shall be mailed to all publishers known to produce basic instructional materials in that subject, and shall be made available upon request.
The notice shall include:
(A) A Schedule of Significant Events.
(B) A statement that each publisher choosing to participate will be charged a fee as described in section 9517.3(a)(4).
(3) Each publisher shall provide a statement of intent to submit to the CDE in accordance with the dates set forth in the Schedule of Significant Events that specifies the following:
(A) Number of programs that the publisher will submit.
(B) Number of grade levels covered by each program.
(4) Based on the information included in a publisher's statement of intent to submit, the CDE shall assess a fee of $5,000 per grade level for each program submitted for review. The fee shall be payable by the publisher even if the publisher subsequently chooses to withdraw a program or reduce the number of grade levels submitted for review.
(5) A ?small publisher? as defined in Education Code section 60211(b)(6)(B), may request a reduction of the fee by submitting documentation in accordance with the date set forth in the Schedule of Significant Events, that includes the following:
(A) A statement of earnings for the most recent three fiscal years.
(B) A statement verifying the number of full-time employees excluding contracted employees.
(C) A statement verifying that the small publisher is independently owned or operated and is not dominant in its field for the subject matter being submitted.
(b) The ELA/ELD adoption shall follow all other procedures set forth in this article.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 60206
Education Code 60200
Education Code 60207
Education Code 60211
(Added by Register 2014, No. 26.)