Richland SD | AR 5117.1 Students
Interdistrict Attendance Agreements
The Superintendent or designee may approve interdistrict agreements for the following reasons:
1. When the student has brother(s) or sister(s) attending school in a receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.
2. To complete a school year with less than one semester remaining when parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.
3. To allow students to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary or junior high school.
4. When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving to the receiving district within the current semester and would like the student to start the year in that district.
5. When recommended by county child welfare, probation or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence.
6. Employment of parent/guardian in receiving district.
A student's interdistrict agreement may be revoked because of excessive truancy or continual disruption of the educational program.
(cf. 5144 - Discipline)
Applications for interdistrict attendance agreements shall be originated in the district of residence. The presentation to the Superintendent or designee of the completed application forms and supporting documents shall constitute the act of application.
Review of the application shall be made by the Superintendent or designee. Following the review of the documents, the Superintendent shall conduct an interview with the person(s) making the application. If the results of the interview support the application, the Superintendent or designee shall forward the application and appropriate supporting documents to the Board for its approval.
In the event that the interview does not support the application, the Superintendent or designee shall:
1. Inform/advise the applicant regarding the selection, preparation and/or presentation of documents which would support the application.
2. Inform/advise the applicant that:
a. The application does not meet the requirements of the Board Policy.
b. The applicant has the legal right to appeal the decision of the agent to the Board and provide the procedures for doing same.
Denial of Interdistrict Transfer Agreement
The parent/guardian of a student who is denied a transfer requested pursuant to Education Code 46600-46611 shall receive timely notice, in accordance with law, regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education. This notice shall be provided by the district denying the request, or, in the absence of an agreement between the districts, by the district of residence.
Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal interdistrict attendance denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending, or during the term of the expulsion. (Education Code 46601)
(cf. 5119 - Students Expelled from Other Districts)
46600-46611 Interdistrict attendance agreements
Regulation RICHLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 14, 2017 Shafter, California