(a) The State Department of Education shall issue to applicant school districts, from the California Public School Library Protection Fund created under subdivision (d), grants for the benefit of schools that qualify for funding under Section 18177. The funds deposited in any fiscal year into the California Public School Library Protection Fund, other than those funds applied to administrative costs in accordance with subdivision (d), shall be allocated as follows:
(1) An amount of no more than 30 percent of the moneys available in the fund, on behalf of schools that currently do not have a school library. No more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) shall be allocated to any one school pursuant to this paragraph. The funding allocated under this paragraph shall be used to purchase, for the school library, core literature or other library materials that are directly related to courses of study offered by the school.
(2) At least 70 percent of the moneys available in the fund, to replace outdated library materials. No more than five thousand dollars ($5,000) shall be allocated to any one school pursuant to this paragraph.
(b) Schoolsites shall not be eligible to receive more than one grant every five years from the fund. This restriction may be waived by the Superintendent of Public Instruction if all eligible applicant districts have been funded and funds remain in the California Public School Library Protection Fund.
(c) In apportioning grant funding under this section, the department shall accord highest priority to those schools for which the greatest funding need is demonstrated in the plan adopted pursuant to Section 18177. The department shall look to the following criteria to demonstrate need:
(1) Age of nonfiction materials in the current library.
(2) Size of the collection. The smaller the collection, the greater the funding need.
(3) Ability of pupils to use the education technology materials.
(d) The California Public School Library Protection Fund is hereby created in the State Treasury. It is the intent of the Legislature, that all money in the fund, including any money deposited in the fund from any source whatsoever, shall be appropriated by the Budget Act each fiscal year for expenditure pursuant to this article. The State Department of Education may apportion funds to school districts from the fund as authorized under this article.
(e) The funding provided under this section shall be expended as provided for in the school library improvement plan, and shall supplement, and not supplant, other expenditures by a school district for the support of a school library.
(f) The sole source of funding for this article shall be the fund created pursuant to subdivision (d).
(Added by Stats. 1993, Ch. 1212, Sec. 1.)