(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to establish a comprehensive, continuous, and community linked school-based program that focuses on youth development and dropout prevention for pregnant and parenting pupils and on child care and development services for their children for the purpose of improving results for approximately 60,000 pupils and their children.
(b) The goals of the program are all of the following:
(1) A significant number of eligible female and male pupils in need of targeted supportive services related to school success will be served.
(2) Pupils shall have the opportunity to be continuously enrolled in the Cal-SAFE program through graduation from high school.
(3) Pupils served who receive program services for one or more years will earn a high school diploma or its equivalent or demonstrate progress towards completion of education goals.
(4) Pupils served who graduate will transition to postsecondary education, including a technical school, or into the world of work.
(5) Pupils served and their children will not become welfare dependent.
(6) Pupils served will demonstrate effective parenting skills.
(7) Pupils served will not have a repeat birth or father a repeat pregnancy before graduating from high school.
(8) Pregnant pupils served will not have a low birth weight baby.
(9) Children of enrolled teen parents will receive child care and development services based upon the assessed developmental and health needs of each child.
(10) Children of enrolled teen parents will receive health screening and immunizations except when the custodial parent annually provides a written request for an exemption pursuant to Section 49451 and Section 120365 of the Health and Safety Code.
(11) Children of enrolled teen parents will have enhanced school readiness, demonstrate progress towards meeting their assessed developmental goals, or both.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that if there are not enough resources to serve all eligible pupils, the program shall target services to pupils who are most in need or to pupils who are least likely to access services on their own.
(d) It is the intent of the Legislature that Cal-SAFE programs be integrated with local Adolescent Family Life programs and Cal-Learn programs in a manner that avoids duplication of services.
(Amended by Stats 2000, Ch. 1057, Sec. 3)
Health and Safety Code 49451
Health and Safety Code 120365