(a) Funds for school-to-career programs shall be appropriated to the department for distribution to local partnerships for the purposes specified in subdivision (e).
(b) Funds shall be awarded through a competitive grant process where only one local partnership can receive funds for a geographic area.
(c) Funds shall be awarded to local partnerships that demonstrate gains in accountability measurements specified in paragraph (8) of subdivision (b) of Section 53082.
(d) The department is not required to fund a geographic area if the department concludes that no grant application satisfactorily meets the requirements specified in paragraphs (1) to (8), inclusive, of subdivision (b) of Section 53082.
(e) Funds received through the grant process shall be used to perform the critical functions of convening, connecting, measuring, and brokering specific services that serve to build a locally defined system that provides the connections between educators, employers, local government, and the community to improve public education for all pupils in the defined geographic area. Funds may be used for the following connecting activities:
(1) Matching pupils with work-based opportunities.
(2) Using schoolsite mentors as liaisons between educators, business, parents, and community partners.
(3) Providing technical assistance to help employers and educators design comprehensive school-to-career systems.
(4) Providing technical assistance to help teachers integrate school-and work-based learning as well as academic and occupational subject matter.
(5) Encouraging active business involvement in school- and work-based activities.
(6) Assisting pupils in finding appropriate work, continuing their education or training, and linking them to other community services.
(7) Evaluating post-program outcomes to assess program success, particularly with reference to selected populations.
(8) Linking existing youth development activities with employer and industry strategies to upgrade worker skills.
(Amended by Stats. 2003, Ch. 573, Sec. 15.)
Education Code 53082