A reemployed member who has been absent from a position of employment subject to coverage under the Defined Benefit Program to perform service in the uniformed services, pursuant to Section 22850, for a period in excess of five years shall not be entitled to benefits or credit for plan vesting or eligibility for membership purposes under this chapter for an amount exceeding five years, except where the service in the uniformed services has exceeded five years for the following reasons:
(a) The member is required to serve beyond five years to complete an initial period of obligated service.
(b) The member was unable to obtain orders releasing the member from a period of service in the uniformed services before the expiration of the five-year period and that inability was through no fault of the member.
(c) The member served in the uniformed services as required pursuant to Section 270 of Title 10 of the United States Code, Section 502(a) or 503 of Title 32 of the United States Code, or to fulfill additional training requirements determined and certified in writing by the Secretary of Defense, to be necessary for professional development, or for completion of skill training or retraining.
(d) The member is ordered to do any of the following:
(1) Ordered to or retained on active duty under Section 672(a), 672(g), 673, 673(b), 673(c), or 688 of Title 10 of the United States Code or under Section 331, 332, 359, 360, 367, or 712 of Title 14 of the United States Code.
(2) Ordered to or retained on active duty, other than for training, under any provision of law during a war or during a national emergency declared by the President or the Congress.
(3) Ordered to active duty, other than for training, in support, as determined by the secretary concerned, of an operational mission for which personnel have been ordered to active duty under Section 673(b) of Title 10 of the United States Code.
(4) Ordered to active duty in support, as determined by the secretary concerned, of a critical mission or requirement of the uniformed services.
(5) Called into federal service as a member of the National Guard under Chapter 15 (commencing with Section 331) of Title 10 of the United States Code or under Section 3500 or 8500 of Title 10 of the United States Code.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 218, Sec. 23.)