Active Death Benefits: Family Allowance. Eligibility, benefits and computations
(a) A death payment of no less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) shall be paid to the beneficiary upon receipt of proof of death of a member who had one or more years of credited service, including service deemed to the member under subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22851, at least one of which had been earned subsequent to the most recent refund of accumulated retirement contributions, if the member died during any one of the following periods:
(1) While in employment for which creditable compensation is paid.
(2) While disabled, if the disability had been continuous from the last day for which creditable compensation had been paid.
(3) Within four months after termination of creditable service or termination of employment, whichever occurs first.
(4) Within four months after termination of a disability allowance if no service was performed after the termination.
(5) Within 12 months of the last day for which creditable compensation was paid, if the member was on an approved leave of absence without compensation for reasons other than disability.
(6) While on a leave of absence to perform qualified military service, if the death occurred on or after January 1, 2007.
(b) A death payment pursuant to this section shall not be payable for the death of a member that occurs within one year commencing with the effective date of reinstatement from service retirement pursuant to Section 24208.
(c) The board may adjust the death payment amount following each actuarial valuation based on changes in the All Urban California Consumer Price Index and adopt any adjusted amount as a plan amendment.
(d) A beneficiary may waive his or her right to the death payment in accordance with the requirements established by the system.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 703, Sec. 12.)