(a) The board may develop one or more deferred compensation plans under Section
457 of the Internal Revenue Code that an employer may choose to establish and offer to its employees who are members or participants of the plan under this part or Part 14 (commencing with Section 26000) or any employee of a local public agency or political subdivision of this state that employs persons to perform creditable service subject to coverage by the plan under this part.
(b) If an employer adopts a deferred compensation plan described in subdivision (a):
(1) The employer shall enter into a written contractual arrangement with the system under which the system, or a third-party administrator acting on behalf of the system, shall provide investment, recordkeeping, and administrative services for the deferred compensation plan.
(2) The deferred compensation plan shall continue to constitute a separate plan established and maintained by the adopting employer.
(3) The system shall be treated as acting on behalf of the employer in administering the deferred compensation plan.
(4) The terms and administration of the deferred compensation plan shall be in accordance with the applicable provisions of Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code.
(5) In administering the deferred compensation plan on behalf of the employer, the board shall have the same investment authority and discretion and be subject to the same fiduciary standards pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 22250), with respect to amounts deferred under the deferred compensation plan as applied by the system with respect to the Teachers? Retirement Fund.
(c) If an employer establishes and maintains a deferred compensation plan described in subdivision (a), the deferred compensation plan shall be offered to all of its employees who are eligible to participate pursuant to this section.
(d) An employee participating in a deferred compensation plan established by an employer under this section shall enter into a written agreement with the employer for the deferral of compensation prior to the performance of the services to which that compensation relates.
(e) If an employer chooses to establish and maintain a deferred compensation plan described in subdivision (a) that is to be administered by the system, the employer shall take all necessary or appropriate action to implement this section in cooperation with the system.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 558, Sec. 47.)