Legal Resources | | T34 99.35, 099.035
What conditions apply to disclosure of information for Federal or State program purposes?
(a)(1) Authorized representatives of the officials or agencies headed by officials listed in Section 99.31(a)(3) may have access to education records in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal or State supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs.
(2) Authority for an agency or official listed in Section 99.31(a)(3) to conduct an audit, evaluation, or compliance or enforcement activity is not conferred by the Act or this part and must be established under other Federal, State, or local authority.
(b) Information that is collected under paragraph (a) of this section must:
(1) Be protected in a manner that does not permit personal identification of individuals by anyone other than the officials or agencies headed by officials referred to in paragraph (a) of this section, except that those officials and agencies may make further disclosures of personally identifiable information from education records on behalf of the educational agency or institution in accordance with the requirements of Section 99.33(b); and
(2) Be destroyed when no longer needed for the purposes listed in paragraph (a) of this section.
(c) Paragraph (b) of this section does not apply if:
(1) The parent or eligible student has given written consent for the disclosure under Section 99.30; or
(2) The collection of personally identifiable information is specifically authorized by Federal law.
[73 FR 74854, Dec. 9, 2008]