Riverside USD | BP 2111 Administration
Superintendent Governance Standards
The Board of Education recognizes that effective District governance requires strong collaboration and teamwork with the Superintendent. Because the Board and Superintendent each have their unique roles and responsibilities, both contribute to the responsible governance of the District and the quality of education provided to the community's students.
(cf. 2000 - Concepts and Roles)
(cf. 2110 - Superintendent Responsibilities and Duties)
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
The Superintendent is expected to hold himself/herself to the highest standards of ethical conduct and professionalism.
To support the Board in the governance of the District, the Superintendent will:
1. Work with the Board toward creating a cohesive team dedicated to students.
2. Respect and acknowledge the Board's role in setting policy and overseeing the performance of the Superintendent.
3. Work with the Board to establish a clear vision for the school District.
4. Broadly communicate the common vision and annual goals within the District and in the community at large.
5. Foster support by the District's management team of the Board/Superintendent governance relationship.
6. Understand the distinction between Board and staff roles, and respect the role of the Board as representatives of the community.
7. Accept leadership responsibility and be accountable for implementing the vision, goals, and policies of the District.
8. Review goals semi-annually with the Board.
9. Provide data (i.e. success indicators, benchmarks, milestones) to Board members to inform decisions and assess progress on annual goals.
10. Distribute information on student performance to the Board regularly.
11. Make personnel recommendations and changes in consultation with the Board.
12. Communicate with Board members promptly, effectively, and equitably.
13. Inform the Board prior to critical information becoming public; apprise all Board members in a timely manner of any major incident or when they may be called upon to answer or explain any issue, incident, or problem.
14. Distribute the Board agenda in a timely fashion and with enough time for Board study, and clarify information prior to scheduled meetings.
15. Never bring a matter to a public meeting that is a surprise to a Board member or Cabinet member.
16. Respond to requests for additional information through a Board Update, Special Report, Board Agenda Item(s), or as a Board Workshop or Study Session, as needed.
17. Present major decisions initially as a Discussion Item, then place them on the next Board agenda for Action, unless an emergency warrants otherwise.
18. Treat all Board members in a professional manner.
19. Communicate with individual Board members to determine if concerns exist prior to a possible problem developing, and respect the right to disagree with each other.
20. Provide a written self-assessment prior to the Board's evaluation of the Superintendent's job performance.
21. Provide timely feedback to the Board on their effectiveness.
22. Keep the Board informed regarding issues and/or situations that concern parents, students, staff, or the community.
35020 Duties of employees set by Governing Board
Superintendent Governance Standards, 2001
CSBA Professional Governance Standards, 2000
Professional Standards for the Superintendency, 1993
American Association of School Administrators: http://www.aasa.org
Policy RIVERSIDE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: July 17, 2018 Riverside, California