Riverside USD | E 4020 Personnel
Drug And Alcohol-Free Workplace
TO: ALL EMPLOYEES
A drug, tobacco and alcohol-free workplace is essential to maintaining the safety and efficiency of school and District operation and to the health and safety of employees, students, and the public. In accordance with Public Law 100-690, the Riverside Unified School District has established the following policy to ensure that all employees are free from the effects of drug use during working hours and that drugs, tobacco and alcohol are not permitted on District premises or in District vehicles.
It is the policy of the District to maintain a drug, tobacco and alcohol-free workplace through implementation of the following:
1. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of alcohol, tobacco or controlled substances is prohibited in or on District property. "Workplace" is defined as any place where school district work is performed, including a school building or other school premises; any school-owned or school-approved vehicle used to transport students to and from school or school activities; and any off-school sites when accommodating a school-sponsored or school¬óapproved activity or function, such as a field trip or athletic event, where students are under district jurisdiction.
2. As a condition of employment, each employee shall abide by the terms of this policy and shall notify the district of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace no later than five days after such conviction. "Conviction" means a finding of guilt (including a plea of nolo contendre) or imposition of sentence, or both, by any judicial body charged with the responsibility to determine violations of Federal or State criminal drug statutes.
3. The District shall, within 30 days of receiving notice of the conviction of an employee for a criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace, take appropriate disciplinary action against the employee, up to and including termination. Disciplinary action shall be imposed in accordance with Board policies on discipline in the Education Code, and applicable collective bargaining agreements.
4. Employees are advised that each of the health insurance plans available to District employees provides drug and alcohol counseling and rehabilitation programs.
5. As a matter of information, personnel should be aware that the District is required to notify federal agencies, with whom contracts are held or from whom grants are received, within ten days after receiving notice that an employee has been convicted under a criminal drug statute for a violation occurring in the workplace.
I have read and understand the district's policy on a drug, tobacco and alcohol-free workplace and agree to abide by it.
Employee's Signature Date
c: Personnel File
White Copy: Department of Personnel Pink Copy: Employee
44011 Controlled substance offense
44836 Employment of persons convicted of controlled substance offenses
45123 Employment after conviction of controlled substance offense
Exhibit RIVERSIDE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
version: July 17, 2018 Riverside, California