Chapter 3 Audits of California K-12 Local Education Agencies Article 3. State Compliance Requirements Continuation Education
Verify that the monthly site attendance summaries provide accurate information by performing the following procedures:
(a) Reconcile the monthly totals (days of apportionment attendance) on the site's attendance summary to the summary maintained by the district for the Second Principal and the Annual attendance reports.
(b) Select a test month in the Second Principal attendance reporting period. Verify the mathematical accuracy of the monthly report and trace the totals to the site's attendance summary.
(c) Select a representative sample of classes (teachers). Trace the monthly totals from the monthly report to the data origination documentation. Verify the mathematical accuracy of the attendance registers, scantron summaries, or other data arrays.
(d) Select a representative sample of pupils and perform the following procedures:
(1) Trace each pupil's attendance in the weekly attendance records to the teacher's attendance register or other approved record.
(2) Verify that hourly attendance accounting was used.
(3) Verify that attendance was not credited for more than the scheduled class time.
(e) Review weekly attendance records to verify that the district did not claim more than 15 hours per week, or a proportionally reduced number of hours per week when there were fewer than five school days.
(f) Select a representative sample of continuation pupils enrolled in work experience education.
(1) Review the weekly attendance reports and attendance registers to verify that each pupil actually attended, as set forth in Education Code Section 48400, four 60-minute hours in each week in which he/she generated additional hours of work experience apportionment attendance credit.
(2) Verify that the pupils received at least one instructional period per week of classroom work experience instruction or counseling as required by Education Code Section 51760.3(b).
(3) Verify that not more than 10 percent of each continuation high school's Average Daily Attendance at Second Principal (exclusive of Average Daily Attendance for a pupil who was pregnant or was a parent and the primary caregiver for one or more of his or her children) was generated through independent study as provided in Education Code Section 51745(b).
(g) If any inappropriately reported units of Average Daily Attendance are identified through the foregoing audit procedures, recalculate, consistent with the provisions of Education Code Section 46303, the correct number of units of Average Daily Attendance. Include a statement in the Findings and Recommendations section of the audit report of the number of units of Average Daily Attendance that were inappropriately reported for apportionment and an estimate of their dollar value.
Education Code 14502.1
Education Code 14502.1
Education Code 14503
Education Code 41020
(Amended by Register 2004, No. 26)