(a) Provision of Meals and Refreshments.-- Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary concerned, funds appropriated to the Department of Defense for recruitment of military personnel may be expended for small meals and refreshments during recruiting functions for the following persons:
(1) Persons who have enlisted under the Delayed Entry Program authorized by section 513 of this title.
(2) Persons who are objects of armed forces recruiting efforts.
(3) Persons whose assistance in recruiting efforts of the military departments is determined to be influential by the Secretary concerned.
(4) Members of the armed forces and Federal employees when attending recruiting functions in accordance with a requirement to do so.
(5) Other persons whose presence at recruiting functions will contribute to recruiting efforts.
(b) Annual Report.-- Not later than February 1 of each of the years 1998 through 2002, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to Congress a report on the extent to which the authority under subsection (a) was exercised during the fiscal year ending in the preceding year.
(Amended by P. L. 107-107, Dec. 28, 2001).