Legal Resources | Title 5 | 1216
Subchapter 6. California High School Exit Examination. Article 3. California High School Exit Examination Testing. Variations/Accommodations/Modifications/Waivers. Modifications for Pupils or Adult Students with Disabilities.
(a) Eligible pupils or eligible adult students with disabilities shall be permitted to take the CAHSEE with the following modifications if specified in the eligible pupil's or eligible adult student's IEP or Section 504 plan for use on the CAHSEE, standardized testing, or for use during classroom instruction and assessments.
(b) The following are modifications as defined by Education Code section 60850 because they fundamentally alter what the CAHSEE measures or affect the comparability of scores:
(1) arithmetic tables or formulas, calculators, or math manipulatives on the mathematics section of the CAHSEE.
(2) audio or oral presentation of the multiple-choice portion of the English-language arts section of the CAHSEE.
(3) Manually Coded English or American Sign Language to present the multiple-choice portion of the English-language arts section of the CAHSEE.
(4) spellcheckers, grammar checkers, or word processing software programs that check or correct spelling and/or grammar on the writing portion of the CAHSEE.
(5) mechanical or electronic devices or other assistive devices that are not used solely to record the eligible pupil's or eligible adult student's responses, including but not limited to transcribers, scribes, voice recognition or voice-to-text software, and that identify a potential error in the eligible pupil's or eligible adult student's response or that correct spelling, grammar or conventions on the writing portion of the CAHSEE.
(6) responses dictated orally, in Manually Coded English, or in American Sign Language to provide an essay response to a scribe and the scribe provides spelling, grammar, and language conventions.
(7) dictionary on any section of the CAHSEE.
(c) For the purposes of receiving a high school diploma, an eligible pupil or eligible adult student who takes the CAHSEE with one or more modifications shall receive a score that is not valid for the sections of the CAHSEE on which the modifications were used. If the score is equivalent to a passing score, the eligible pupil or eligible adult student may be eligible for a waiver pursuant to Education Code section 60851.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 60850
(Amended by Register 2009, No. 45.)