(a) Notwithstanding Sections 33000 and 33001, the Governor shall also appoint a student member to the State Board of Education, with the advice and consent of two-thirds of the Senate.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivisions (c) and (d) the incumbent student member on January 1, 1984, shall be eligible for appointment by the Governor subject to the advice and consent of two-thirds of the Senate.
(c) The term of office of the student member is one year, and shall begin on August 1. An individual may serve only one term as a student member.
(d) Notwithstanding Section 1020 of the Government Code, the student member shall be, at the time the member's one-year term commences, a student enrolled in good standing in grade 12 in a public high school. The student member shall be selected from three students recommended by the State Board of Education pursuant to subdivision (e). The student member shall be a voting member with the full rights and duties of the other 10 members of the board.
(e) The process for selecting the student member shall be as follows:
(1) The State Board of Education shall notify every school district governing board, district superintendent, high school principal, high school student activities director, and student body president by September 15 of each year that applications are being accepted for the student member's position.
(2) Applications for the student member's position shall be submitted to the State Board of Education no later than October 31 of each year.
(3) A screening committee of the State Board of Education shall select 12 semifinalists for the student member's position.
(4) The school district governing board student members shall select six candidates from the 12 semifinalists.
(5) The State Board of Education shall, by December 31 of each year, select three finalists for the Governor's consideration and shall rank the finalists according to their preference.
(f) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require the governing board of a school district which maintains a high school to grant voting rights to a student members serving on the school district governing board.
(Amended by Stats. 1985, Ch. 395, Sec. 1.)
Education Code 33000
Education Code 33001
Government Code 1020