Kindergarten through 12th Grade; Kindergarten Through 12th Grade School Facilities Program Provisions
(a) The proceeds from the sale of bonds, issued and sold for the purposes of this chapter, shall be allocated in accordance with the following schedule:
(1) The amount of five billion two hundred sixty million dollars ($5,260,000,000) for project funding for new construction of school facilities of applicant school districts under Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10, including, but not limited to, hardship applications.
(A) Of the amount allocated pursuant to this paragraph, up to three hundred million dollars ($300,000,000) shall be available for providing school facilities to charter schools pursuant to a statute enacted after the effective date of the act enacting this section.
(B) If the Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act of 2002 is submitted to the voters at the November 5, 2002, general election and fails passage by the voters, of the amount allocated pursuant to this paragraph, twenty-five million dollars ($25,000,000) shall be available for the purposes of Sections 51451.5, 51453, and 51455 of the Health and Safety Code.
(2) The amount of two billion two hundred fifty million dollars ($2,250,000,000) for the modernization of school facilities pursuant to Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10, including, but not limited to, hardship applications.
(3) The amount of two billion four hundred forty million dollars ($2,440,000,000) for deposit into the 2004 Critically Overcrowded School Facilities Account established within the 2004 State School Facilities Fund pursuant to subdivision (e) of Section 17078.10 for the purposes set forth in Article 11 (commencing with Section 17078.10) of Chapter 12.5 of Part 10 relating to critically overcrowded schools, including, but not limited to, hardship applications, and any other new construction or modernization projects as authorized pursuant to Section 17078.30.
(4) The amount of fifty million dollars ($50,000,000) for the purposes set forth in Article 10.6 (commencing with Section 17077.40) of Chapter 12.5 of Part 10 relating to joint-use projects, including, but not limited to, hardship applications.
(b) School districts may use funds allocated pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) only for one or more of the following purposes in accordance with Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10:
(1) The purchase and installation of air-conditioning equipment and insulation materials, and related costs.
(2) Construction projects or the purchase of furniture or equipment designed to increase school security or playground safety.
(3) The identification, assessment, or abatement in school facilities of hazardous asbestos.
(4) Project funding for high priority roof replacement projects.
(5) Any other modernization of facilities pursuant to Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10.
(c) Funds allocated pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) may, also, be utilized to provide new construction grants for eligible applicant county boards of education under Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10 for funding classrooms for severely handicapped pupils, or for funding classrooms for county community school pupils.
(d) (1) The Legislature may amend this section to adjust the funding amounts specified in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (a), only by either of the following methods:
(A) By a statute, passed in each house of the Legislature by rollcall vote entered in the respective journals, by not less than two-thirds of the membership in each house concurring, if the statute is consistent with, and furthers the purposes of, this chapter.
(B) By a statute that becomes effective only when approved by the voters.
(2) Amendments pursuant to this subdivision may adjust the amounts to be expended pursuant to paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (a), but may not increase or decrease the total amount to be expended pursuant to that subdivision.
(e) From the total amounts set forth in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (a), a total of no more than twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) shall be used for the costs of energy conservation adjustments authorized pursuant to Section 17077.35.
(f) Funds available pursuant to this section may be used for acquisition of school facilities authorized pursuant to Section 17280.5.
(Added by Stats. 2004, Prop 55, Sec. 31.)
Education Code 17070.10
Education Code 17077.35
Education Code 17077.40
Education Code 17078.30
Education Code 17280.5
Health and Safety Code 51451.5
Health and Safety Code 51453
Health and Safety Code 51455