San Mateo-Foster City SD | BP 5116 Students
School Attendance Boundaries
The Board of Trustees shall establish school attendance boundaries in order to maximize the efficient use of district facilities and effective administration of district schools. The Superintendent or designee shall periodically review school attendance boundaries and, as necessary, make recommendations to the Board for boundary adjustments.
When reviewing school attendance boundaries, the Superintendent or designee shall consider the following factors:
1. School enrollment data
2. Facility capacity and design, including potential commercial and residential developments
3. Federal, state, or court mandates
4. Student safety
5. Geographic features of the district, including traffic patterns
6. Educational programs, such as magnet schools and charter schools
(cf. 7160 - Charter School Facilities)
7. In accordance with Education Code 49558(b), records pertaining to student participation in the free or reduced price meal program may be used as indicators of socioeconomic status by designated district employees for purposes of establishing school attendance boundaries and programs to promote academic success. No individual indicators of participation in a free or reduced price lunch program will be released. The Superintendent or designee will ensure that all confidentiality provisions required by law are met.
The Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their attendance area in order to alleviate overcrowding. If available at no additional cost to the district, transportation shall be provided for such students.
8. Other factors
(cf. 5116.1- Intradistrict Open Enrollment)
(cf. 5117 - Interdistrict Attendance)
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their attendance area. Parents/guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible.
(cf. 3541 - Transportation Routes and Services)
35160 Authority of Board of Trusteess
35160.1 Broad authority of school districts
35160.5 District policies; rules and regulations
35350 Transportation of students
35351 Assignment of students to particular schools
Article I, Section 31 Discrimination based on race, sex, color, ethnicity
Crawford v. Huntington Beach Union High School District (2002) 98 Cal.App.4th 1275
Crawford v. Board of Education (1976) 17 Cal.3d 280
Jackson v. Pasadena City School District (1963) 59 Cal.2d 876
California Department of Education: http://www.cde.ca.gov
Policy SAN MATEO-FOSTER CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: June 5, 2014 Foster City, California