Public Social Services; Aid and Medical Assistance; Computation of Payment of Aid Grants
(a) The department, in consultation with group home providers, the County Welfare Directors Association, the Chief Probation Officers of California, the California Mental Health Directors Association, and the State Department of Health Care Services, shall develop performance standards and outcome measures for determining the effectiveness of the care and supervision, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 11460, provided by group homes under the AFDC-FC program pursuant to Sections 11460 and 11462. These standards shall be designed to measure group home program performance for the client group that the group home program is designed to serve.
(1) The performance standards and outcome measures shall be designed to measure the performance of group home programs in areas over which the programs have some degree of influence, and in other areas of measurable program performance that the department can demonstrate are areas over which group home programs have meaningful managerial or administrative influence.
(2) These standards and outcome measures shall include, but are not limited to, the effectiveness of services provided by each group home program, and the extent to which the services provided by the group home assist in obtaining the child welfare case plan objectives for the child.
(3) In addition, when the group home provider has identified as part of its program for licensing, ratesetting, or county placement purposes, or has included as a part of a child's case plan by mutual agreement between the group home and the placing agency, specific mental health, education, medical, and other child-related services, the performance standards and outcome measures may also measure the effectiveness of those services.
(b) Regulations regarding the implementation of the group home performance standards system required by this section shall be adopted no later than one year prior to implementation. The regulations shall specify both the performance standards system and the manner by which the AFDC-FC rate of a group home program shall be adjusted if performance standards are not met.
(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), effective July 1, 1995, group home performance standards shall be implemented. Any group home program not meeting the performance standards shall have its AFDC-FC rate, set pursuant to Section 11462, adjusted according to the regulations required by this section.
(d) Effective July 1, 1995, group home programs shall be classified at rate classification level 13 or 14 only if all of the following are met:
(1) The program generates the requisite number of points for rate classification level 13 or 14.
(2) The program only accepts children with special treatment needs as determined through the assessment process pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 11462.01.
(3) The program meets the performance standards designed pursuant to this section.
(e) Notwithstanding subdivision (c), the group home program performance standards system shall not be implemented prior to the implementation of the AFDC-FC performance standards system.
(f) By January 1, 2016, the department, in consultation with the County Welfare Directors Association, the Chief Probation Officers of California, the California Mental Health Directors Association, research entities, foster youth and advocates for foster youth, foster care provider business entities organized and operated on a nonprofit basis, Indian tribes, and other stakeholders, shall develop additional performance standards and outcome measures that require group homes to implement programs and services to minimize law enforcement contacts and delinquency petition filings arising from incidents of allegedly unlawful behavior by minors occurring in group homes or under the supervision of group home staff, including individualized behavior management programs, emergency intervention plans, and conflict resolution processes.
(Amended by Stats. 2014, Ch. 760, Sec. 9.)